710 on first attempt, retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

710 on first attempt, retake?

by zhangt5 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:52 am
Hi guys,

Thanks for reading this post. I need some advice on whether to retake the GMAT. I wrote GMAT last week and scored a 710 (50Q, 35V). I was averaging 730 on my mocks, and was hoping some score like that, but on the actual test day, I was way too nervous and came back 30 secs late for the verbal section, which made me even more nervous, so did not do well on verbal.

My profile, I am currently a senior studying accounting and finance at a top 50 university in US with a 3.9 GPA. I have very diverse internship experience, and leadership experience, and work on getting into consulting after college. Would very much appreciate any comments.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:00 pm
Hi zhangt5,

A 710/Q50 is an outstanding combo, so you're done with the GMAT. Since you're still in school, I'm going to assume that you have minimal work experience. If you're planning to apply to Business School right after you finish your undergrad, you might run into a bit of "resistance" (since you have no real work experience); in these situations, the undergrad GPA becomes more relevant, as its a measure of your ability (and might be enough to offset your minimal work experience).

I'd suggest that you post your questions to an Admissions Consultant (try THAT forum). The consultants will likely tell you the same thing (you're done with the GMAT), but you might get some additional application advice that you'll find useful.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zhangt5 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply! I will post my question onto the THAT forum, and get some suggestions from there. Thanks again! Have a good one.