Challenging SC question Veritas prep test.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Challenging SC question Veritas prep test.

by rakeshd347 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 pm
In the wake of the global housing crisis, and amid dramatically changing demographics, it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, thus increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, thus increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, and thus increase demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is not unlikely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, reducing demand for large suburban homes, thus creating an increase in demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is not unlikely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, reducing demand for large suburban homes and increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is not unlikely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, reducing demand for large suburban homes, increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

OA coming soon.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 pm
D for me.
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vishnum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:54 am
Hi,

I would like to go with option "B". As parallelism of '-ing" need not be present for reduce and increase as demand is an adjective. Correct me if I am wrong.

Br,
Vishnu.

by Java_85 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 pm
IMO also B is the answer.

by rakeshd347 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 pm
OA is D Guys.
Source: Veritas prep practise test.

Thanks

by Java_85 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm
Does anyone knows why B is wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 pm
Java_85 wrote:Does anyone knows why B is wrong?
I think it is a parallelism issue here. The reduced demand and increased demand have to parallel and they are inter related. That is like a see-saw, one goes up another goes down.

Also in B usage of which is incorrect. It is the "shift in thinking" that causes reduction and increase in demand and not ahead per se. remember which modifies the immediately preceding word and not the entire clause(their might be exceptions).

Also usage"and thus" implies cause and effect, which is not the case here.They are independent events.

Hope I am right and have clarified your doubt o the best of my knowledge

Aside: (thinking reducing and increasing) don't you think these should kind of make sense?
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

by rakeshd347 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 pm
In B the parallelism is OK but ask yourself what does "which" refers to. There is no antecedent before comma to refer. So A and B both are faulty.

My salary will increase next year from 60k to 70k, which will enable me to spend more on shopping. ( in this sentence which is referring to the whole clause and its wrong. In daily life we write this way but in GMAT its clearly at fault.)

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 pm
In the wake of the global housing crisis, and amid dramatically changing demographics, it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, thus increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

B. it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, and thus increase demand for smaller urban apartments.

Rule:
- "which", being a pronoun, should always refer to nearest legitimate noun. --> So discard.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:01 am
One big problem with answer choice B - that comma after "homes" breaks up the combined structure of "which will reduce and increase". You couldn't say "I'm going to the movies with Colleen, and Jenn". This is essentially the same thing - you can't say "The shift will reduce demand, and thus increase...", particularly when the "which" after the comma to start all that is setting up a modifier. If you said: "I'm going to the movies with Colleen, who works in the building next door, and Jenn", "and Jenn" (the and after the comma) has to link to the first portion "I'm going to the movies with Colleen...and Jenn". It wouldn't link to "Colleen, who works at the building next door and Jenn".

So that comma in B is problematic.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Followed by:3 members

by \'manpreet singh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:02 pm
rakeshd347 wrote:In the wake of the global housing crisis, and amid dramatically changing demographics, it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, thus increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, thus increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is likely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, which will reduce demand for large suburban homes, and thus increase demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is not unlikely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, reducing demand for large suburban homes, thus creating an increase in demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is not unlikely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, reducing demand for large suburban homes and increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

it is not unlikely that a widespread shift in thinking is ahead, reducing demand for large suburban homes, increasing demand for smaller urban apartments.

OA coming soon.

"Which" does not modify the noun ahead properly so its out.A and B out.

E is out because there is list so a "and" is required. Similarly "and" is required in C, to make it clear.

So OA is D