Please help evaluate my profile !!!

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I am a software engineer with around 6 years of exp in IBM mainframes (Client - Morgan Stanley). Have done my under-grad in production engineering with a CGPA of 7.34 on a scale of 10, XII - 73.4%, X - 76.8%. I appeared for GMAT in March 2011 and my scores were not that good. I secured 590 (Q-47, V-24, AWA 5). A year after that I moved to the US on an on-site assignment. I will be done with my assignment by Sep 2014 and am planning to join a MBA program by March 2015. Hence, till the time i join, i would have had around 8 years of experience. My sole purpose of an MBA is a career shift. I am basically trying to get out of IT and enter into the manufacturing/production industry and hence looking for a program with Operations Management/Supply Chain Management as the majors. Location of the school is not a constraint for me but I would prefer European B-Schools particularly those in Germany or B-Schools in South East Asia. Could you please let me know what are my chances of getting through a good MBA program and also suggest some B-Schools to which I can apply.

Thanks a lot in advance !!!!

Thanks, Soumya

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 am
Hey there,

My answer is going to be relatively short and straight forward. If you're looking to join in 2015, that means you apply in 2014, which means you have a year before then.

Retake your GMAT.

Don't worry about schools yet. Worry about that a year from not. For the moment, you need to fix your 590. You have a year to do so and I have complete faith in you!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by greatest » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:19 pm
I am an Indian Chartered Accountancy student having 2-3 years left for my professional course to complete and planning to give GMAT approx. after 2 yrs aiming for a high score.As a part of curriculum/course we have a mandatory 3yr internship to be done under a practising CA/firms and I am putting all my efforts to get into the best ones ,if possible the big4s.
Can I get into a good B-School in US with good academics(GPA,GMAT) and internship without work experience?

P.S:-My friend's classmate did his internship from Ernst and Young and got into UC Booth school of business with good GMAT,GPA.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:27 am
Hi Greatest,

Could you perhaps clarify that a little bit? Is your internship while in school? Or is it after? Sorry, I'm having a little bit of difficulty in figuring out if you're still in undergrad or if you're done?

If you could help me understand that, that would be great!

Thanks!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by greatest » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:17 am
I'm doing my graduation(B.com 2nd year) along with chartered accountancy on the other hand.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 am
I think you can definitely put together a compelling application even if you are in the internship phase. It's a little different than the states and adcoms are aware of that.

Keep in mind, it's difficult to compare students from one class to the next - a lot of things can change.

The higher the pedigree of your internship, however, the better. Have you taken your GMATs yet?

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by greatest » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:07 am
No I haven't given the GMAT, but my seniors have advised me to get precise information about the MBA admissions. I am trying to be more familiar with these admission procedures, so that I can plan everything in a proper manner(including GMAT).
I'll be giving GMAT probably in the end of next year(I've got loads of time to prepare) as I am still doing my bachelors.
Last edited by greatest on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:12 pm
Well you are DEFINITELY on the right track - thinking ahead about your grad school pursuits puts you far ahead of most of your competition out there. However, I would advise you to think at a macro level versus a micro one.

Definitely plan ahead - think about your story. Plan out your involvement and look strategically at your professional career ahead. But don't make it too prescriptive. Leave a little wiggle room. This is an important time in your life - be open to personal growth and self discovery!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by greatest » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:16 pm
Thank you so much Mr.Bhavik.
Is there any way to subscribe or follow you on this site?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 pm
You are definitely welcome mate - keep us posted on how things are going!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter