Advice - Letters of Recommendation

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Advice - Letters of Recommendation

by nakul.maheshwari » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 am
Hey all,
Thanks in advance for posting replies to my dilemma here. So, I have been in the construction business in the United States for 5 years and I have decided to apply to schools in Europe. My work requires me to move around a lot and I guess a good thing about it is that your bosses change pretty frequently.
That being said, the people I have asked for a recommendation letter are the one's I worked for about 1-2 years ago. Is that okay? How does an admissions committee view an application that does not have a letter from a current supervisor?
If any admissions expert could chime in here too, that will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
-Nakul

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 pm
Dear Nakul,

The admissions committee usually expects to read a recommendation from a current supervisor.
However, if you have a valid reason not to provide one, this should not be a concern.
Just explain your situation in the optional essay. In your case, if you haven't worked long enough with your current boss to get an impactful LOR from her, it is indeed wise to ask someone else.

You should not stress about it at all.

Good luck with your application.

Vincent
Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe (HBS '13)
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors LLC
www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: https://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mb ... algorithm/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nakul.maheshwari » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:41 pm
Thanks for your post Vincent.
This is where it gets pretty tricky for me. I have worked for him for over a year and I know that he has high opinions of me and will happily right a letter of recommendation. However, he hasn't been in a managerial position for too long and he hasn't written many before. Hence, I am not feeling too comfortable with asking him for a letter.
Obviously, this is something I cant write on my optional essay but anyhow, that's my dilemma.

-Nakul

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:24 pm
Hi Nakul,

When your letter of recommendation writer is a newbie, you can help him/her out by creating a recommendation packet that helps them understand what the AdCom is looking for in a letter of recommendation. I write more about that here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/letter-of-re ... 62013.html

With a recommendation packet, s/he will be better equipped to write you a strong letter of recommendation.

Best of luck with your applications! Please visit my website and see if I can be of service to you somehow in your process.

Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:57 pm
Dear Nakul,

When I applied to HBS, 2 out of my 3 recommenders had never written a LOR (we needed 3 LORs in 2011). It took me a lot of time and effort to guide them through the process, without resorting to writing my own letters.

Tackle the problem directly: talk to your boss, and ask him if he'd be comfortable writing you a solid recommendation. He needs to understand that this is one of the most important parts of your application, but that it will take quite some time to put together. If he's not able or willing to put in the necessary effort, then you might indeed have to find a plan B. But you will have to explain why you are not submitting a LOR from a current supervisor in the optional essay.

Help your manager as much as possible: hand over your latest resume to him, as well as a document with a list of accomplishments you achieved under his supervision. Print a few online LOR examples (but warning him against copy / pasting!), and provide him with the actual questions he'll have to answer and grids he'll have to fill. With all this, he'll be able to think things over and ask you questions if he faces difficulties.

Finally, stay on top of things. Have lunch or coffee with him on a regular basis and use the opportunity to follow up on your LORs and offer your help if he needs any. It will be stressful, but you can pull it off.

Good luck.

Vincent
Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe (HBS '13)
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors LLC
www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: https://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mb ... algorithm/