Recommender Help! What do I do in my current situation?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

I have a quick question about recommenders. Before I ask, here's the an extremely short story that's important. I used to work for a director in my company in the business development team. Since then, I took another position within the same company in a different division. I've been in my current role for over 2 years now, and with my old director, I was in the role for about 1.5 years. I left the team with extremely positive assessments and a great professional working relationship with my director.

I was originally planning on applying to schools last year, but I had to push it off by a year (2012 to 2013). I'm starting to apply now, mostly R2, and need to ask my old director for a recommendation. He graciously agreed last year and started to write a little bit, but after I learned of my situation, I asked him to put it on hold until next year because of my personal issue.

Anyway, I e-mailed him last week (about 7-8 days now) to see if he would be willing to resume writing for this year. This director would be 1 of 2 recommenders for me this season. I really value his input, but after sending the e-mail, I haven't received a response. I know he's a busy guy, on travel a lot, but I don't know how to react to a 'no response.'

Do I e-mail him back? If so, what do I say? Do I just forget it and find someone else? My other recommender, aka my current manager, is completley on board and is my second recommender (all set here).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:57 am
Hey there,

Don't worry too much about getting more aggressive in pursuing the avenue. It seems that director would make a great recommender and, given his support last year, he seems to be on board. You should definitely pursue it - a "no response" can mean numerous things and, most likely, it means he didn't see it. So send another note and subject it "[Time Sensitive] Business School Recommendations" to try to get his attention. If after that you don't hear back, give him a call. A phone call is a powerful thing!

Cheers,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:43 am
Greetings,

First of all, does this director who is suppose to be your recommender know you personally? If so, why is there so much hesitation in reaching out again? Just send a note and follow up with a short phone call.

Secondly, have a back up plan. If you've got a deadline you are evaluated and your recommender is also evaluated based on deadlines! If he can't get to things fast enough and you need that recommendation in another week or so, make sure you've got someone else in mind who knows you personally and can write a stellar recommendation for you!

The key to a good letter of recommendation isn't the "title"...its about who knows you well enough to paint a picture for you.

Hopefully, this helps.

Good Luck!
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:24 pm
This is something that can potentially change your life. Do not be afraid to follow up with your director. Everyone is busy these days and someone can easily scan an email on their phone - marking is as "read" - and then easily forget about it. Or maybe he just didn't want to respond. Either way you should want to know the status.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants