New to GMAT! Advice for reaching a 650 score from 410?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi everyone! I just took my first CAT exam today (Manhattan) and unfortuntely, scored a 410. Quant=15, Verbal=30. I understand these numbers are very low, I have been out of school for nearly 4 years now and hold a Bachelor's in Communications so, needless to say, I never took many math courses in college either. Also, this was the first CAT exam and I haven't started studied for the GMAT yet. I just wanted to see where I currently stand before I start to develop my study plan.

I'm considering starting business school next fall, 2014. Application deadline to the school I'm looking at is March 1. I plan to take the official GMAT in December, to give myself enough time if I need to retake it again before the application deadline. Goal is 650.

My question is, is 3 months time (or from now until December) enough to raise my score from 410 to 650? Or should I give myself more time to study and delay starting business school another year, to 2015? What is the best way to improve a low score?

Any and all advice is welcome as I am brand new to this process but very eager to raise my score and get into the business school of my choice :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:19 pm
I'd worry less about your application process right now. Tell yourself, "What do I need to do to dramatically improve my score in the next few months?" If you get there, you take the test, aim for the stars and see where you net out.

So, then the question is -- what's going to be the best way for you to get there? Self-study, class, tutoring? What does your gut tell you?

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:20 pm
I'd worry less about your application process right now. Tell yourself, "What do I need to do to dramatically improve my score in the next few months?" If you get there, you take the test, aim for the stars and see where you net out.

So, then the question is -- what's going to be the best way for you to get there? Self-study, class, tutoring? What does your gut tell you?

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by transfer9858 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:16 pm
Basics, basics, basics!! If you know the manhattn gmat series cold, and take all their practice tests, you should be able to score in the mid 600's... but again, know it cold! Basics are everything in this test...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 pm
You may find some of these articles helpful in crafting an appropriate study plan as you progress on your journey.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-1/
https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... an-part-2/

Hope this helps!

-Brian

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Busytrying » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 am
SofiaC87 wrote:Hi everyone! I just took my first CAT exam today (Manhattan) and unfortuntely, scored a 410. Quant=15, Verbal=30. I understand these numbers are very low, I have been out of school for nearly 4 years now and hold a Bachelor's in Communications so, needless to say, I never took many math courses in college either. Also, this was the first CAT exam and I haven't started studied for the GMAT yet. I just wanted to see where I currently stand before I start to develop my study plan.

I'm considering starting business school next fall, 2014. Application deadline to the school I'm looking at is March 1. I plan to take the official GMAT in December, to give myself enough time if I need to retake it again before the application deadline. Goal is 650.

My question is, is 3 months time (or from now until December) enough to raise my score from 410 to 650? Or should I give myself more time to study and delay starting business school another year, to 2015? What is the best way to improve a low score?

Any and all advice is welcome as I am brand new to this process but very eager to raise my score and get into the business school of my choice :)
Hi SofiaC87

I took my first CAT recently and scored 390 (Q13, V28) so worse but I guess close enough (especially in the split of scoring) that I'd like to proppose we "buddy" as a motivation system.

For example if you have a question you don't understand and vice versa we can try to figure them out together or share our progression as an encouragement.

What do you think?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 pm
Sofia -- Just checking in here. How are your studies progressing?