MBA - Human resources - School suggestions

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA - Human resources - School suggestions

by Ash18 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:38 am
Hi all,
I'm working in the IT industry for 5years and I have decided to go for an MBA now. My area of interest in HR and I've done some short term courses earlier.

Now I've decided to do my MBA with concentration in Human Resources. I've been doing a lil bit of research and got the below universities from a HR blog. Whats your opinion on thsi list and please pour in your suggestions on HR MBA programs..
Cornell
UCLA
Southern California
Purdue
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Maryland

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:13 pm
Hi there,

If you're trying to make the switch from IT to HR, you're going to have a hard time finding a program that'll fit those requirements to a tee. Here's something to consider - on average, less than 5% of the jobs at the top MBA programs go to HR. So, programs generally aren't rated on their HR capabilities. Additionally, finding qualitative consistent measures to assess them on it also difficult.

In other words, there's no ranking system out there for HR schools. BUT...

There are others who take it upon themselves to assess what's out there. Here's a pretty good article: https://hrpatriot.blocked/2009/11/b ... grams.html

HOWEVER - if you're coming from IT, look for programs that are going to give you a strong general management foundation. You need one and HR is a specialization, not a core concept. A lot of time people who go for their MBAs looking to specialize in HR were already in that industry. You are making a lot of moves here so your school selection should be more broad based and strategic than simply based upon an area you're interested in.

Does that make sense?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:46 pm
Look into Johnson at Cornell University and not just because I went there.... There are a lot of people who do the dual degree with Johnson and the Industrial Labor Relations (ILR) school. So they end up getting a Masters in Industrial Labor Relations and and MBA. Even if you didn't want to do the dual degree program you would be able to take classes at the other school. Definitely look into that....
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by batrichie93 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:51 am
There is no harm in Doing Mba in human resources, because that might be of your interest. Always opt for whatever interests you more so that you get more knowledge in deep. Apart from this, you could also look at other specializations such as MBA in construction management ,MBA in project management, Mba in real estate , mba in journalism, mba in advertising.