Which bschools to apply

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Which bschools to apply

by skt4arsenal » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:12 pm
Name : Sai Krishna
Degree : Dual Degree(B.tech + M.tech - 5 years ) in Industrial Engineering
College : Indian Institute of Technology,Kharagpur ( Class - 2012 )
CGPA : 6.41/10 on absolute scale

GMAT : 740

Work experience :
Currently working as an assistant manager in SKF in Six Sigma,Business Excellence since July 2012.
I am a member of the current SKF Six Sigma black belt team.
I am willing to apply for fall-2014 and I will be having a work experience of 2 years.

Achievements/Extra Curricular Activities :

POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY

OPTIMA 2010,Annual Department Fest
"¢Event Organizing member of the fest.
"¢A member of the publicity team and successfully increased the number of students participating in the fest by promoting the event to more no. of colleges.

ACHIEVEMENTS/KEY ACTIVITIES

Scholastic Achievements

"¢Was among top 0.1% of the students(about 3.5 lac) who gave IIT JEE 2007 all over India(AIR:2276)
"¢Secured an All India Rank of 1343 in AIEEE-2007
"¢Appeared in Indian National Chemistry Olympiad(INCO) by securing among the top 1% students in the State level round of Chemistry Olympiad conducted by Indian Association of Chemistry Teachers.
"¢State 6th in the The Hindu "Young World Quiz".

Social Work

"¢Designed an improvised Road transport system for the village Balrampur during the
course Transfer and Management of Rural Technology .Our suggestion was also sent to the Gram Panchayat Of the village

Others

"¢Served as NCC cadet for 2 years.
"¢Among the top ten contestants of NIGHTSHIFT (Kshitij 2009)
"¢Secured 3rd among the 200 members who participated in X-Games(Kshitij 2011)
"¢ Volunteer in Spring Fest 2008

Could u please give me 5-6 bschools which I can apply with this profile among the top-50 ??

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 am
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Congrats on the excellent GMAT score. So you have a 740 GMAT, 2 years of work experience, average academics, some project management and experience outside the workplace, and several awards.

Overall it would be very difficult to suggest specific schools for you without more info about what you are looking for in a school!! Biggest question being--what are your GOALS?? Why do you want the MBA? You may want to choose a program that will best help you with your goals. Also what size class, what geographic region and setting, any particular type of curriculum or student culture or international diversity preferences etc? For more on choosing schools, see our free e-book at: https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

You are part of a very common applicant profile-- Indian applicants with engineering and technology backgrounds, so you'll need to work hard to stand out from that crowd and show what makes YOU unique and different and what you'll contribute to the class. Your quant and analytical skills are already fairly demonstrated in your profile so you'll want to supplement by showcasing other skills, particularly in areas of leadership, teamwork, people management, communication skills, etc.

Generally with only the 2 years of experience and a pretty technical background etc, I'd suggest schools outside the top 10-15 for your best chances.

Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by skt4arsenal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 pm
Dear Madam,
Thank you very much for your feedback.I will try on improving my profile.

I have a few more queries.

1) Do US bschools give some preference for IIT's over other colleges from India or is it the same for all??

2) After taking feedbacks from MBA admission consultants , I am thinking to apply for MBA in 2015 with 3 years of work-ex.How much of a difference can this extra one year bring??

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:08 pm
Hi there,

Schools do look at the caliber of school you graduated from, yes, and take that into consideration.

As for the 3 years vs 2, I would say generally with the rest of your application being strong, that yes 3 years would look better and increase your chances.... there are more accepted candidates on average with 3 years than 2. (Though the average among all is more like 5 at most schools, fyi).

Keep in mind that the extra year should be QUALITY work experience, so look for ways to go beyond your responsibilities, make an impact in your company and in your work, show leadership and management and teamwork.

Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders