Where Should I Apply + My Future Plan

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Where Should I Apply + My Future Plan

by bb11 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:46 pm
Profile:

GMAT: 730, 48 Quant (76th%) and 42 Verbal (96th%), 8 IR (93rd%), 6.0 Writing
3.51 GPA, B.A. in Psychology from a mid-tier UC (Davis/San Diego/Santa Barbara/Irvine group).
White male. Some good extracurriculars but lacking in leadership roles. 2 years of collegiate sports experience, Toastmasters, youth sports coaching and training, part of a team of 3 developing a marketing plan for a non-profit to raise $6M in funding by 2020.

One year working in entry-level sales at a Fortune 100 tech company in the Bay Area. Working hard to transition into a marketing role or get promoted. I'm guessing it's not realistic to apply this year but I'd like to apply by next year if possible, if not then hopefully the year after. Thoughts on the best year to apply?

I'd love to get an MBA from a top program, and I think this would help me solidify my career in a job that challenges me and I'd enjoy. I'd also like to move out of the Bay Area permanently. I'd like to be in a big city eventually but I'm open to LA/Chicago/Northeast. I think Uber-Elites are a stretch for my background, but I'm hoping to at least go to an Elite. Programs that seem like potential fits would be UCLA, Michigan, Cornell, Yale, and Duke with 1-2 of the very top programs thrown in as reaches. What do you think and which ultra-elite would be most likely to give me a shot?

Final question: Should I try taking the GMAT again? I scored a 740 and a 760 on my two practice tests. I'm thinking take another practice test. If I outscore a 730 again, cram for two weeks and take the GMAT one more time to hope for a 20-30 point improvement.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:53 pm
Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on a great GMAT! I don't think you should take it again. There is almost no upside and a bit of risk. A 20 point improvement isn't going to wow them if they saw you started from a 730. And if your score were to go down, then you're in a slightly tougher spot.

Given what you've said about your current job, I would say wait at least 2 years. At 3 years you're still on the younger side but the difference between 2 and 3 years is significant when it comes to profile development. Besides, you also aren't in much of a rush as I'd assume you're still pretty young? In addition to really expanding your professional roles, responsibilities, and titles, you could take on more impactful/leadership roles in your extracurriculars.

I think you should take 2 years and really focus in on your profile. You're ahead of the game already by thinking this far in advance - so now it's all about planning and execution.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!