URGENT ADVISE NEEDED: THREE WEEKS TO GO!

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

URGENT ADVISE NEEDED: THREE WEEKS TO GO!

by Psmba » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:07 am
Hi all

I am going to take the test within the next three weeks. My first gmatprep score was 450 and after about two months prep of late i have been scoring in the range of 640-680 ( 42-45 quant and 32-35 in verba) lon various MGMAT and veritas tests but am shattered after seeing my yesterday'a gmatprep score- a shameful 560 (around 42 in Q and 27 or so in V)!! i performed bad on all sections uniformly, and cant figure out why. perhaps i was caught up with my infant's health but that can't be an excuse.
i am bombing it off slightly more on DS and RC (i am not fond of reading and i am at a loss after reading a few lines and cant comprehend the passage fully though i am good at comprehending english in general, i usually do fine on the 'main point' questions but definitely not on 'detail' questions) and to be honest, am doing bad on an average on all sections. Also, the biggest weak area is IR. i consistently end up having one wrong answer and to my bad there is no partial credit for the right ones. plus, i have never been able to finish more than 7-8 questions in 30 min on the practice tests.

when i practice i generally get most problems right but on test i end up doing one or the other careless mistake in every area. unfortunately things look far away from my 700+ target.

since all target second round deadlines are in november '13 (basically within 45-50 days after i write my test), i cannot postpone my test either. (pls advise what is a reasonable time one takes to prepare and send applications to schools after you get the GMAT scores?)

The study material i am using: MGMAT set of 10 guides, OG13, kaplan premiere, plus i have recently bought the verbal and quant OG supplements but not sure if i will be able to finish them.
i also need a suggestion regarding OG13- i did OG sometime back and i want to re-do all sections to check my progress on the offical questions but then, i am sure i would remember the answers, esp on verbal. do you recommend re-doing it.

pls also suggest how can i use the forums effectively, i have not tried as yet, except reading debriefs.

many thanks for your kind attention in advance.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750

by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:00 am
Removing my answer, as I realize that this is a GMAC forum.
Last edited by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:59 am
Hello, PSMBA! It sounds as if you are taking all of the right steps in preparing for the exam by allowing yourself plenty of time to study, and pinpointing your strengths and weaknesses. While there is no one study strategy that can guarantee you a specific score, we do frequently hear from GMAT students about study strategies that work for them. You can see a video of tips from GMAT test-takers here: https://bcove.me/m4v1wet1.

You may also want to re-post this question to one of the main message forums. This forum is to ask questions from GMAC, the makers of the GMAT exam, and unfortunately, we cannot offer specific tutoring advice. Reposting to one of the main threads will give others a chance to weigh in with opinions and advice.

Good luck!

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!