Good GMAT score -760, but bad IR -2

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Good GMAT score -760, but bad IR -2

by san_sri » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm
Hi

I need some expert advice here.

I just got my official score card and my IR score is 2 (AWA-5).

Overall I got a good GMAT score -760 (Q-50, V-44). I am not sure whether I should take GMAT again or I can still float with the help of my GMAT score.

My GMAT score is totally in line with my GMAC mock tests scores; however my IR score dropped considerably. This was my GMAT attempt and I still have time for another shot. At the same time, I am not sure whether I will be able to cross 760 in the next attempt (in that case which score the schools would consider?)

Any suggestion is highly appreciated

My profile - M/37/Targeting executive MBA in 2014

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:54 pm
There will be few on here who can give you a truly informed opinion (and take mine with the appropriate grain of salt obviously.)

I think you are fine. That's an amazing score (Q+V), a strong AWA, and for the most part, most b-schools (probably even more so on the exec side) haven't really incorporated the IR into their decision-making process yet. The 760 carries the day for you there.

DO NOT TAKE IT AGAIN.

Again, just my $0.02.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by san_sri » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:27 am
Brian

Thanks a lot for your response. Your response has given me lot of support.

I have a question -

I am targeting Wharton, Berkeley and Kellogg for executive MBA. Do you think I am still competitive for these schools or I should add few safer schools into the target list?

Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:06 am
Hi san_sri,

Brian is correct in that most schools have publicly stated that they don't currently have a proven way to evaluate a candidate based on his/her IR score, so IR isn't much of a factor. This means that there's no reason to retest - you have a fantastic GMAT score. Now you can focus on the other parts of your application.

You listed 3 schools that are remarkably well-regarded and competitive. As a group, they reject around 85% - 90% of the people who apply (and most of the rejected applicants are GREAT applicants). This means that you need to have more going for you than just your GMAT and you might consider applying to some additional schools to increase your chances (and options) to be accepted.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 am
Dear san_sri,

I do not think that you should re-take your GMAT. Your IR score is definitely low, but you'll have plenty of opportunities to compensate for it in your application. A 760 GMAT with good AWA score will alleviate concerns regarding your ability to follow a demanding curriculum (which is what Exec MBA adcom teams will be interested in).

Executive MBA programs are usually less selective than FT MBA programs. Your GMAT score will therefore clearly not go unnoticed.
However, it is quite difficult to assess your odds of success at your target schools without knowing more about your professional experience.
Are you a proven leader? How fast have you climbed the ranks? How will the exec MBA support your long term career choices?
Is your company sponsoring you and /or will they support you while you are on campus?
These questions should carry more weight than your test scores or undegrad GPA.

Additionally, make sure to attend events organized by these programs. The applicant pool is often smaller for exec MBA programs, so it is easy to stand out if you can interact with adcom officers and alumni.

To answer your question specifically, I would suggest you to apply only to your target schools first. If you are not admitted, then consider lowering your standards. You will save a lot of time and money by adopting this "phased" approach.

I hope this helps.

Vincent
Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe (HBS '13)
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors LLC
www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: https://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mb ... algorithm/

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:48 pm
I agree with Vincent's responses. The calculus that goes into an Executive MBA admission is just different than that which goes into a Daytime MBA admission.

Can you share with us a bit more about your profile/background?

Thanks.

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

by Hoping for the Best! » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:54 am
Hi,

I have a similar concern. I have taken GMAT twice with the following scores:

640 - Verbal 29, Quant 47, AWA 4.5 and IR 7
720 - Verbal 38, Quant 49, AWA 5 and IR 4

As I was not able to get a good IR score in the second attempt, should I take the GMAT again ? I'm targeting Columbia, Stern and Wharton.

Thank you!

by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:10 am
Dear Hoping for the Best!,

I must admit that this is a tough situation, but I would advise you not to retake the GMAT.
720 is a great score, and your AWA is very decent.
You also demonstrated that you were able to do well on IR on your first GMAT attempt (and the schools will see it on your official report).

If the rest of your application is strong, I think you should not worry.

If you are really concerned, reach out to the adcomm teams, and ask them for their opinion, and whether they'll consider your latest IR score, or the higher one.

No matter what we may say here, IR is such a new component of the MBA application, that only the schools really know how they intend to use it (if at all).

Good luck!

Vincent
CEO and co-founder

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: https://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mb ... algorithm/

by Hoping for the Best! » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 am
Thanks Vincent! Your response is helpful.

by Hoping for the Best! » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 am
Thanks Vincent! Your response is helpful.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:19 pm
I think most (if not all) schools openly acknowledge that they are just looking for your 'best' score across all your exam experiences.

You have an IR 7 -- box checked... time to move along.

Good luck!

-Brian

by Gsam2013 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:20 pm
Hi,

I may have the same situation

My first score is 690 with Q = 50, V = 33, AWA = 4.5 & IR = 8
My latest one is 740 with Q = 50, V = 39, AWA = 5.5 & IR = 5

I am so concerned that it may affect my chances, but i choose not to retake as i have less time for my essays.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
Sam

by Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:38 am
Dear Sam,

No need retaking the GMAT. Your overall score is strong, AWA is good too, and your official report will show that you scored 8 on IR on your first attempt.
Spending time on your essays is indeed the right thing to do at this point. Your concern should be about telling the adcomm what makes you unique and what you are bringing to the community.

Do not apologize for your IR score in your essays. You would be wasting a lot of valuable space, when I think it really does not matter in your case.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck.

Vincent
CEO and co-founder

by Gsam2013 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:49 pm
That helps. Thanks a lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Agree w/ earlier comments here. I'd consider your GMAT done and done. Move on to other parts of your application at this point.

Good luck!!