Reg Profile Evaluation -710 GMAT, 5 yr work ex., Indian

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi experts,

I wanted to assess my chances at wharton, stanford, booth and insead based on the profile provided below. In addition, i would like to mention that i had applied for Round 2 at wharton, booth last year and was not invited for interview. Probably my GMAT score would have weakened the chances. Last time around i had scored 680 (Q 50 90%, V 33 (67%)).
I have taken GMAT again and have now scored a 710 92% (Q 49(81%), V 38(85%)).
Let me put my queries first followed by my profile :

1. Being from Over represented Indian bucket (though not in IT anymore) what are the overall chances at these schools ? Especially Wharton ? (a fair assessement please)

2. Initially was excited to apply for wharton Round 1 after scoring a 710. But, having seen the recent wharton stats on GMAT of median 725 GMAT, coupled with the fact that i am an indian, presses me to still postpone applying to wharton. (heard somewhere that Indians tend to have higher scores that average at the school). What do you think ? more GMAT re-takes to rise among sea of high GMAT indian applicants ?

3. I have a first MBA which was mostly out of fresh college (engg.). I have seen range of indians going for second MBA so i guess school accept candidates. Reason for second MBA for me is to continue in the PE industry but want to target larger international PE firms which surely need better exposure and a good international b school education in-order to compete in India

Profile:

Schooling - among top 3 students out of 130 students
Graduation - Top 20 college in india ; 1st rank out of 260 students
Post-grad MBA from a top 10 b school in india - GPA 3.5 - Awarded best all-rounder for extra curricular and acads. ( out of 440 students)

Work experience -
1. Software consulting at a global IT major (< 1 yr) --- pre MBA
2. Big credit rating agency in India - an S&P subsidary(2 yrs) - top performer, awarded multiple times
3. Investment Associate at a domestic PE firm (2 yrs) - top performer -- rewarded financially better than the overall set. compensation growth (though at a smaller base then seniors obviously) among the highest in the consecutive appraisal cycles among 60 people (PE is usually a small setup so cant help it Smile )

Others
CFA holder - Teach CFA part-time at a leading indian CFA coaching institute
National talent examination scholar

Other activities - decent activities at school and college level (events organising, partcipation, fund raising for events etc)
Finance cell General Secretary at B-school
Founder of research division at B-school

Charity
Some charity work in the past (2 organisations during schooling, under-graduation and during post graduation) though not very active presently owing to work pressures
Have been from a small community in India which had to migrate owing to past war in 1990's (though still from india). Lost their homes and livelihood in 1990s and hence had an impact on me as a person to assist others and hence the charity what i have done in past (dont know if it can still be carved out separately from the usual indian male engg. bucket)

Please suggest/advice.