Recommendation from a new boss?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Recommendation from a new boss?

by hrubacky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:57 am
I started with my current organization in March and my supervisor left (amicably) in June. Since the organization is restructuring, my chain of command is still in flux.

So who do I ask for a recommendation:
- my current supervisor, who barely knows me
- my previous supervisor, who I only worked with briefly
- my closest peer at my current organization
- an executive I worked closely with at my previous job (I'm already asking my previous supervisor)
- someone outside the workplace (although no one jumps out at me)

I'd love some advice on this!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:57 pm
Hi there,

You should really be targeting the person that knows you the best and that seems to be your previous supervisor. Actually, if both the executive and your previous supervisor know you to the same extent, I would prefer the executive wherever possible (rank trumps if they both know you very well).

As for your current job, most schools ask for your current supervisor. You could explain why you can't use your current supervisor but you would still need to use someone in your current company. In that case, I would recommend you explore getting your previous supervisor. Keep in mind, you'll have to clear this with certain schools - some are more understanding than others.

I hope that helps - let me know if you have any other questions!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by blessu » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 am
hrubacky wrote:I started with my current organization in March and my supervisor left (amicably) in June. Since the organization is restructuring, my chain of command is still in flux.

So who do I ask for a recommendation:
- my current supervisor, who barely knows me
- my previous supervisor, who I only worked with briefly
- my closest peer at my current organization
- an executive I worked closely with at my previous job (I'm already asking my previous supervisor)
- someone outside the workplace (although no one jumps out at me)

I'd love some advice on this!
That's a tough situation... you probably need 2 recommenders, so from what you described it looks like the best are your closest peer and the executive. but you'll need to explain the choice of recommedners.