However much Governments

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

However much Governments

by bharath2787 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:19 am
However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proliferation must be halted and that steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles, it is difficult for countries to come to agreement on the specific methods of implementing such practices.

A. However much governments around the world may agree that
B. Despite the agreement among governments around the world to the fact that
C. Although governments around the world agree
D. Even though governments around the world may agree
E. Despite there being agreement among governments around the world that

OA is A why not C
Bharath

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:11 am
bharath2787 wrote:However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proliferation must be halted and that steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles, it is difficult for countries to come to agreement on the specific methods of implementing such practices.

OA is A why not C
I have edited your post to underline the appropriate portion.

Further, Though, Even though and Although in general show contrast

Although is used when there is a positive condition but Negative result.

Although he was smart, John failed in the exam(Ignore the errors if any!)

Even though and Though is used when there is Negative condition and positive result

Eg: Even though he was bleeding, John won the race

Despite usage is not correct for the same reasons above.

However much here means no matter how much they may agree.So it is not contrast per se, it is just a state of acceptance.

Hope it is clear
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:37 pm
Hi bharath2787,

I think vinay1983 has done a good job explaining the vocabulary, so I won't rehash those details. The phrase "however much" is a rare "style" phrase that you probably won't see on Test Day, even though it's in the "pool" of questions that the Randomizer can throw at you. Usually, the rare material shows up either when you're doing well AND the computer randomly throws you that rule (as opposed to a different rare rule) or during an experimental question (that doesn't count). The word "that" is typically used to point to specific nouns/ideas, so it makes sense to include the word "that" before the words "nuclear proliferation." Knowing this rule, you would have been a bit more suspicious about answer C.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:00 pm
bharath2787 wrote:However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proliferation must be halted and that steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles, it is difficult for countries to come to agreement on the specific methods of implementing such practices.

OA is A why not C
This a tricky one.

The intended meaning is to stress on the amount of agreement.. C and D sound better but miss out on the word 'much'.

Hope that helps.
A good question also deserves a Thanks.

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That's why no-one will remember your name.

Followed by:3 members

by \'manpreet singh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 pm
To add to the points above.

The options B,C,D can be eliminated because they make a sutle change in the intended meaning.
Because in the sentence it is mentioned governments "MAY" but in these options it implies governments 100% agree.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bharath2787 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:29 am
Thanx guys!

it is cleared. "Meaning" and agree that ...
Bharath

by Java_85 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:52 am
I was thinking it should be how many! But this explanation make sense for using how much!
However much here means no matter how much they may agree.So it is not contrast, it is just a state of acceptance.

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:50 am
My take on this question is bit different. I think the real decision point is not a choice among however/although/despite...but the referent of "it" and the usage of "that".

lets take on option C and D.

In option C and D governments are not agreeing on Nuclear proliferation but about the halt of Nuclear proliferation, hence require "that". Hence eliminate them.

Now option E, the usage of Being is not correct over here. If you want to know more about the correct way to use Being, refer to this link - https://www.beatthegmat.com/where-to-use ... 65891.html

Option B is clearly wordy when compared to Option A. I personally feel spooky about the insertion of perpositional phrase "to the fact". May be experts can pitch in over here and provide more tangible reason to eliminate B.

Let me know your thoughts on my approach.

Cheers,
Hemant
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:27 am
Hemant, you are useful contradicting the usage of "being".. The link you provided and the reason on basis of which you eliminated {E} contradicts.

To eliminate an answer choice based on the "Wordier" concept we must be sure that "meaning" & "grammar" are fine. The problem with {B} & {E} is meaning.
R A H U L

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:32 am
theCodeToGMAT wrote:Hemant, you are useful contradicting the usage of "being".. The link you provided and the reason on basis of which you eliminated {E} contradicts.

To eliminate an answer choice based on the "Wordier" concept we must be sure that "meaning" & "grammar" are fine. The problem with {B} & {E} is meaning.
I disagree with you on the usage of being. As per the post the correct usage of being is one of the either form - Noun or passive construction but in the above sentence being appeared in neither of these forms. Being is used as modifier and upto my knowledge it is wrong way(at least in GMAT).

In option B I don't see any meaning change, you are welcome to elucidate what is the change in meaning in B.

Cheers,
Hemant
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:21 am
I have not provided any rule for "being".. so "being" in the state of disagreement is purely a state of confusion.

In the above sentence, is the "being" usage correct or wrong?

Regarding {B}

I will put-on two sentences for you..

-> However much Ram studied for GMAT, he scored only 500

-> Despite Ram studied for GMAT, he scored only 500.

Do you see the meaning gap?
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am
The SC above mimics an official SC that I explain here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-verbal-re ... 07106.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:4 members

by hazelnut01 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:40 pm

OA is A
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Correct Answer: A

The correct answer to this question is A. The sentence begins with parallel subordinate clauses that are followed by the main clause. The parallel subordinate clauses are both introduced by the word 'that' ' i.e. 'that nuclear proliferation'' and 'that steps should be implemented'' Answer choices C and D are incorrect as each leaves out the word 'that,' and in doing so, parallel structure with the second subordinate clause is violated. Answer choices B and E violate the GMAT standards of Brevity and Fluency, employing lengthy, awkward constructions.