What are my chances?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What are my chances?

by SB5304 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 pm
I have given the GMAT twice now, first attempt:660 and second attempt:650. I am disappointed with the score since I always scored more in my mocks but I also feel writing it again will be a red flag in the number of attempts category. I request you to analyse my scores and profile and let me know if I have a shot in any good schools. I am hoping to try for Tepper, Fuqua, but I am not sure if this is a realistic goal. Also let me know other schools I can apply to.

My profile:
GMAT: 660
Work Experience: 3 years in consulting technology
Undergraduate: 3.3 (Engineering)
Extra curricular: Teaching at an underprivileged school for a year over the weekends

Thanks a lot!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:58 pm
A 3rd attempt won't hurt your chances. if it was your 7th attempt then I'd say don't do it... but 3 attempts is fine. I mean I took the GMAT 3 times. A lot of people take it 3 times.

Also based off of the information that you provided, no one can say - "Oh you'll get in" or "oh you won't get in" You'd need to provide your letters of recommendation, all essays, transcripts, resume... etc etc... and even then no one can say that you have an X% chance. Don't worry about what you're "chances" are, but rather focus on what you can do to maximize each part of your candidacy.

If someone on here said, "oh you won't get in to tepper" would/should you really change how you apply by the advice of someone you haven't met in person? re-focus your attention on the maximizing part.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SB5304 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 am
Thanks a lot for your reply! I feel much more hopeful now. It is confusing after you see so many opinions posted on forums. I am still swaying between applying now or waiting to get some more work experience (I will be promoted next year). Would you recommend getting in touch with counsellors for the application process?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by InterviewBay2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:52 am
I think you should take GMAT again if you believe you can get a better score. Most Schools don't mind three GMAT attempts. You have a low GMAT score and an average GPA. I personally believe that as long as you show significant increase in your score, taking GMAT again should not be a problem. I would take the risk to get to 700 or higher. Don't get below 660.

There is no hard and fast rule regarding the minimum score you need to be at your target schools. You may have a good shot at your target schools if you are excellent at other aspects of your application. If you could write excellent application essays, then your candidacy will certainly improve. Please elaborate on the kind of role you had at the consulting technology firm.
Your extracurricular activities seems very light. What was the impact of your participation in the school for underprivileged children?

Good Luck!
www.InterviewBay.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:38 pm
Hey there,

3 attempts hardly qualifies as a red flag. 4 will raise some eyebrows but it isn't until 5 that you really start garnering some significant attention.

A side question - are you Indian? If so, the necessity for retaking the GMAT is increased. You need to bump it up just to get to get on par with the rest of your application pool. You're a little light on the rest of your profile too.

In all honesty, you probably should really just focus on your GMAT and profile this upcoming year and apply the following season. If you want to get into the schools you've listed, why not take a little more time and really boost some of the aspects of your profile?

At 24, I see no need to rush this process.

Good luck!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by raajan singh » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:08 pm
I think you should attempt for GMAT again but after taking coaching from a good institute. There are so many institutes that provide Coaching for MBA Entrane Exams.

All the Best.
Raajan Singh
Student- Vanguard Business School.