Italy's top anti-Mafia:

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Italy's top anti-Mafia:

by \'manpreet singh » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:20 am
According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.

a)the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted
b)famous because of "The Godfather," the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
c)the ailing mobster, famous because of "The Godfather," came to take refuge in Corleone, a town near to those he most trusted
d)near to those he most trusted, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of "The Godfather"
e)Corleone, famous because of "The Godfather," was the town that the ailing mobster came to take refuge in because it was near to those he most trusted
whenver such a question comes put it on a number line,chances are they could be consequtive integers.

Ans A

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 am
My bad realised very late that, OA should be A, since it is the only option which places the modifier"because of "The Godfather" among all options.

Missed this one. regret!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bharath2787 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:21 pm
Hi

a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted. should both modify corleone ....... and According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor should modify the ailing mobster.

only option A does this. all the other options have misplaced modifiers. easy way to knock out answer choices is to look for modifiers of town carleone..
Bharath

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:45 pm
What's the source on this problem?

I ask because nothing is wrong with (C) that I can see. The phrase "famous because of "The Godfather"" is meant to refer to Corleone, of course--anyone who's seen the movie knows that. But the GMAT can't and won't expect you to have seen that movie, and without that pop cultural knowledge, it's perfectly logically and grammatically consistent for a mobster to be the thing made famous by a mobster movie.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aravindts » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 pm
If a mobster is famous because of a movie, shouldn't he ideally be caught by now??
I think that's how we conclude that it is the place that is famous?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by \'manpreet singh » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 pm
The source of this problem is Manhattan practice test.