sunspot cycles

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

sunspot cycles

by crazy4gmat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:35 am
On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

OA E

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: sunspot cycles

by iamcste » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:26 am
crazy4gmat wrote:On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

OA E

"Their trunks "in not underlined part

so we need "Trees" close to "As seen..."

Only A and E qualify

A-puts all the essential info as a subordinate clause ", among...grow,"

If you try to remove to comprehrend the sentence removing this clause, sentence doesnt make any sense

Rate that grows-akward

Choose E

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by duke » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:40 am
crazy4gmat wrote:On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

OA E
I guess the key to solve this q is to look at the back-side of the question..i.e. 'as seen ~'. What is 'seen' in the rings visible..? I guess it would be the rate. And what is believed to be the surest indication? I also think it's the rate. So, I would say the answer is C.
Looking for 780~

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:660(

by 4meonly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:29 am
iamcste wrote:

OA E

"Their trunks "in not underlined part

so we need "Trees" close to "As seen..."

Only A and E qualify

A-puts all the essential info as a subordinate clause ", among...grow,"

If you try to remove to comprehrend the sentence removing this clause, sentence doesnt make any sense

Rate that grows-akward

Choose E
Just ot add:
A uses rate...are
But we need rate...is

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:31 am
duke wrote:

OA E
I guess the key to solve this q is to look at the back-side of the question..i.e. 'as seen ~'. What is 'seen' in the rings visible..? I guess it would be the rate. And what is believed to be the surest indication? I also think it's the rate. So, I would say the answer is C.
One for vote for C.

what does it mean ? Earth of sunspot cycles ?
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:660(

by 4meonly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 am
Among the surest indications of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:51 am
E for me

the non-underlined part uses 'their', which means we need 'trees' not 'tree', and also that we need the word trees to be as close to the non-uderlined as possible.

E does that.

Legendary Member

by iamcste » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:58 am
logitech wrote:
One for vote for C.

what does it mean ? Earth of sunspot cycles ?

what about information held in clause "rate....sunspot cycles"

Is it ok to keep this information non-restrictive?

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:26 am
oof~

It seems every day i need to rewrite my SC rules :x

. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles
Don't know how can people justify this sentence...

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/on- ... t1833.html
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

Legendary Member

by iamcste » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:00 am
ronniecoleman wrote:oof~

It seems every day i need to rewrite my SC rules :x
Thats the magic of SC

:P

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by zeppelin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:15 am
Why is C not correct ?? Can somebody please provide me with an explanation.

by riteshbindal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 am
Even I thought of C.
Can someone please tell the source of this question?

C incorrect

by enniguy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:26 pm
zeppelin wrote:Why is C not correct ?? Can somebody please provide me with an explanation.
You can see 'their' in the non-underlined part of the sentence. Since the underlined part ends with "sunspot cycles" in option C, 'their' "incorrectly" refers to sunspot cycles whereas it is suppose to refer to trees.

Hence, C is wrong.

Grow in option A & E is a verb and 'trees' is the closest noun.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vietmoi999 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 am
" as seen.." modifies the noun phrase

" as" can not be a conjuction. "as" must be a preposition

" as seen..." is what

I do not understand this pattern.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:18 am
As per my analysis, there is a 3/2 split seen at the beginning.
If we are saying on Earth(Do we need any other planet?)
A is wrong as we all agree
B Is wordy and "it is believed" does not fit in
C (Contention point) it indicates Sunspots as seen in trees? That is not correct, it should be trees
D As "iamcste" has mentioned as seen should be closer to trees, but in D it incorrectly modifies rate.
E is best among the given options.

SC is getting mad, madder maddest slowly. But, it's nice to learn new things

@vietmoi999" Welcome to GMAT SC!(Pun intended)