Improving Quant speed and accuracy

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Improving Quant speed and accuracy

by melguy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:23 am
Hello All

I am here to seek some advice on how to improve Quant speed and accuracy. I gave a CAT recently and I got 15 - 16 Q's wrong. When I reviewed my mistakes there were only two questions that I could not solve even if I am given 10 mins. But I easily solved all wrong questions within 3 - 4 mins outside exam conditions without any issues.

Although I have a good hold of most topics but when I read the question I can't decide what strategy to apply to get the answer within 2 mins. It sets panic during the exam .. hurting the score even more.

Would appreciate some tips.
Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:10 am
The answer here is practice. Keep reviewing more and more problems. Work on identifying why certain problems are supposed to be solved in certain ways. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix; you simply have to put in the time and effort to become an expert in this material.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:12 am
One of the great things about almost all GMAT math questions is that they can be solved using at least 2 different approaches. Typically, one approach is much faster than the other(s). So, the key to speed improvement is recognizing the fast approach for each question.

To get better at recognizing the fastest approach, I suggest that you spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site. Here you will find a variety of approaches for every question. You'll also see the steps and thought processes involved in tackling math problems.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com