Struggling with RC and CR...Please Help!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I have to write GMAT in next 15 days and I am still struggling with RC and CR.
I have given the following mock tests with the scores mentioned alongside:

GMAT Prep 1 (620)
MGMAT#1 (640)
GMAT Prep 1 Repeat (710)
MGMAT#2 (590)
Kaplan#1 (680)
MGMAT#3 (600)
GMAT Prep 2 (690)

As you can see in all of the MGMAT tests I have faired below 650.
Barring first attempt at GMAT Prep test I have faired rather well with scores above 680.
I am not sure which scores to believe with respect to my performance and preparation.

If we leave that aside, the main problem I have is with RC followed by CR. I just cannot seem to get RC right.
Most of the times I am confused between two answer choices and it seems that I always end up picking the wrong one. In CR also the same thing is happening.

I have not followed any book for RC. For CR I have studied from PowerScore CR Bible.
Can someone suggest how I can improve in these two areas within next 15 days.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 pm
Hi hina.rastogi,

With RC and CR, you're talking about a BIG chunk of the GMAT - lots of questions and lots of potential points. You could probably use some additional study time, so is it possible for you to push your test back a few weeks or a month? If you can't reschedule your GMAT, then there are some resources that I can suggest, but this will require you to purchase some new materials.

Business Schools really don't care how many times you take the GMAT, but I would never send any of my clients in to take the test if they didn't feel comfortable doing so.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:34 am
When it comes to RC and CR questions, it's crucial that you engage 100% in the passage. So, rather than approach a new passage with dread, try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Mexico!"). The better your engagement, the better the results. You'll find additional tips to help you better engage with the passage in this free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1123

Also, if you're interested, we have a free set of videos that cover all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:35 pm
Hi hina.rastogi,

Rich and Brent have you covered on the RC perspective. However, there's more to the story than that.

Practice tests from the major companies may not be 100% perfect clones of the preptests, but they are pretty accurate--so two scores back-to-back nearly 100 points apart is a warning sign. Something made some of your scores higher than others, and it was likely not related directly to the content or difficulty of the questions. In this blog post, we talk a little bit about how to use such swingy scores to zero in on factors that could disrupt your Test Day. Take a look, I think it will help!

Best of luck,
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage