First GMAT Prep: Score 480..!!Need Help..

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

First GMAT Prep: Score 480..!!Need Help..

by ProGMAT » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm
Hi,
Today i have taken GMAT Prep first practice test after brushing up my skills for 2 weeks.
I have scored 480 in this test with a very bad score in Verbal.
Total Scores are:
IR:1,
Quant: 41,
Verbal: 17.

Need serious help, where to start and material to be used.**(I am following beatthegmat schedule for 2 months.)
:!: :!:
Last edited by ProGMAT on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 pm
Hi ProGMAT,

First off, you shouldn't expect to nail a practice CAT on the first try. The GMAT is made up of consistent, predictable element though, so you can learn how to beat it. The process takes a bit longer than 2 weeks though.

If you can answer a couple of questions for me, then I'll be happy to offer some advice:

1) What study materials have you put together?
2) What is your goal?
3) What is your timeline?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by ProGMAT » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi ProGMAT,

First off, you shouldn't expect to nail a practice CAT on the first try. The GMAT is made up of consistent, predictable element though, so you can learn how to beat it. The process takes a bit longer than 2 weeks though.

If you can answer a couple of questions for me, then I'll be happy to offer some advice:

1) What study materials have you put together?
2) What is your goal?
3) What is your timeline?

Rich
Hi Rich,

I have studied some math basic skills and some verbal skills from internet resource (not from OG'13) and i'm done with one diagonastic test in OG. I have a goal of 700+ score and i am planning to take GMAT in December.

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:32 pm
Hi ProGMAT,

The first practice test can often throw people for a loop. But it's important to remember that the score you got was a floor, not a ceiling--a diagnosis and not a prognosis.

Your test tells you that improving your verbal score will take a while--with a December test date, you have that time. It tells you that you will need to build up some fundamental verbal skills, but that your quant is building from a very solid foundation. And, depending on your timing, it can tell you a bit about your test-taking skills, beyond your content knowledge.

Before I can recommend specific resources, though, I need a bit more knowledge. How much time are you committing per week, over the course of your months of study? And, are you planning to do self-study with books, a self-study online course, or a classroom class?

Best,
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

by ProGMAT » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 pm
KapTeacherEli wrote:Hi ProGMAT,

The first practice test can often throw people for a loop. But it's important to remember that the score you got was a floor, not a ceiling--a diagnosis and not a prognosis.

Your test tells you that improving your verbal score will take a while--with a December test date, you have that time. It tells you that you will need to build up some fundamental verbal skills, but that your quant is building from a very solid foundation. And, depending on your timing, it can tell you a bit about your test-taking skills, beyond your content knowledge.

Before I can recommend specific resources, though, I need a bit more knowledge. How much time are you committing per week, over the course of your months of study? And, are you planning to do self-study with books, a self-study online course, or a classroom class?

Best,
Thanks for your reply KapTeacherEli.
I have tried to spend 2 minutes(avg.) on each question, and skipping the one which i do not know. But i have noted down the topic which i need to brush up.
Right now I am spending 2-3 hours on my GMAT preparation on weekdays (as I am working professional) and 6-7 hours on weekends. And I am planning to do self study with planned studies.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 am
Hi ProGMAT,

Right now, pacing shouldn't be a concern. You need to build up some familiarity with the material before you worry about how fast you are at answering questions. It sounds like you haven't purchased any major resources (books, courses, practice tests, etc.) yet. Is that true? Thankfully, you have planned ahead so that you have the time to properly prepare. Keep making smart choices and you'll pick up those points.

If you have any specific questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:35 am
As Rich said, pacing isn't the issue now--work on mastering content first, then worry about pacing. Kaplan's GMAT premier book, here, covers all the material you'll need to pull your verbal score up, as well as including 6 practice tests to help evaluate your progress as you learn. Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage