MBA in which field ???

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA in which field ???

by pun_aga » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:53 am
Hi,
I am working as a Software Quality Engineer for the past three years and now i have reached a saturation point from where to move forward like Quality management profiles a MBA degree is preferable.

But ,I not much interested in Management profiles (related to Software Quality) rather I like to change my career towards finance field .
An MBA in finance can help me in this but the problem is how to connect the two different dots(Q.E and finance)and what opportunity will be able to me with a background as Q.E and MBA finance.

And, If not MBA finance than which is best field to do my MBA as per my Q.E background.

Thanks in Advance..

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:23 pm
What type of company would you like to work for after your MBA? I ask this because you don't want to enter the MBA application process as what people call a Double-Switcher. That's someone who wants to change their function AND industry. AdComs don't like double-switchers because these people have a tough time recruiting - ESPECIALLY if it's an international student who already has limited recruiting opportunities relative to those of their domestic counterparts.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by pun_aga » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:16 am
Hi,
Currently , I don't have a specific industry in my mind to work for after the MBA.My main concern is what job opportunity will be available to me with my Q.E background and MBA finance (not industry specific).
Or Which all profiles i can look forward to after mba with my background.

Thanks....

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:41 am
I think i misread your initial question. What I should have asked was... what type of role do you want within Finance? Not which industry... You aren't pigeon holed into a certain career just because you have a certain background. People change careers all the time in business school.
pun_aga wrote:Hi,
Currently , I don't have a specific industry in my mind to work for after the MBA.My main concern is what job opportunity will be available to me with my Q.E background and MBA finance (not industry specific).
Or Which all profiles i can look forward to after mba with my background.

Thanks....
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:45 am
I agree with Money9111 here - people do switch all the time but be careful. What he said about adcoms is spot on. When you put forward your goals, keep in mind the following mantra: "ambitious yet realistic".

So if you want to switch to Finance, that's great! But if you go from QE in one industry to equity research in Finance, that's where you're going to raise some concerns.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by pun_aga » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:35 am
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.
i am actually looking forward to financial analyst profile after MBA but not sure how to build a strong story around and if considering this profile will not make adcoms skeptic...

It would be great if can share some info regarding IT professional career switch and suggest some examples for people with my background.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:34 pm
Hey there,

This is a little hard to do - every story is unique and giving you examples to reference or leverage would be difficult unfortunately.

If you'd like to chat about your situation in particular, I'm happy to do so! You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!