disastrous diagnostic score of 380!! NEED HELP !!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
i just attempted my princeton review free online CAT, i got a very bad score of 380 (18V and 25Q) :(,
i want to score atleast a 700 on my GMAT. i have a lot of time to spare, as i'm only a fresher, and i'm gonna apply only after 2 years of work ex. none the less, i wan to write my gmat before the end of this year.

how should i go ahead with my prep? what materials whould i use. i can easily put in 42 hours per week for the next 3 months, before i join work.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:10 am
I will be honest, you have a lot of work to do. That is a HUGE jump in 3 months even if you have a lot of time - it takes time to just let the stuff sink in. My favorite quant material is the GMAT Prepster quant guide. Verbal I tend to use the Manhattan GMAT stuff. Realistically, you probably want some help. At least a course and more likely tutoring to get that kind of jump. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by gmatjedi91 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 am
the thing is, i'm not really in a position to afford a course or tutoring, and hence want to stick to self study. i was thinking of going through the gmat foundations for math and verbal and attempt another PR diagnostic to see how i fare, and then i thought i would start with the Manhattan strategy guides, and OG.

Should i do this? or directly hit the strategy guides and practice a lot of problems etc..

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:34 am
Start studying. You already know that you need a lot of work. Another practice exam will do nothing more than confirm this. Use the one you took to find areas of weakness.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:47 am
You might consider signing up for BTG's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).
Each day, you will receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests. Of course, you will still need to purchase either the videos or booklets, but both options are under $150

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:03 pm
Hi gmatjedi91,

You can certainly start off with self-studying (books, free practice CATs, etc.), and see how far this takes you. The reality is that a 700 on the GMAT is the 90th percentile, which means that 90% of Test Takers either can't or won't do what it takes to earn that score. If your goal is truly a 700+, then you have to ask yourself what you're WILLING to do to earn it. A GMAT prep course might be exactly what you need to help you hit your goal (so keep it in mind and start thinking about how you might pay for a course in a month or two).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by red217 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:19 pm
Hi! im at the same position as yours!. i scored 320 on my practice test and was blown away and disappointed.
I bought the MGMT guides and i think they are awesome. when i took the practice test i thought it would be better for me if i enroll in a course and chose veritas live online.
its good but i would definitely go for gmat pill or economist and egmat for verbal. you might want to consider these options.

i was reading a post the other day and liked the study plan, she studied quant 4 days a week (M,T,W,T) and verbal on the fifth day. On saturdays she would revise everything she did that week and took sundays off.
As for me quant needs alot of brushing.
after alot of research i think MGMT guides are best for quant atleast and for verbal powerscore CR bible, MGMT SC guide.

if you are self studying i would seriously suggest to take up the BTG 60 day prep, its awesome only if you are able to cope up with it. sadly i wasnt able to cope up with load due to my responsibilities.

let me know what plan you are making?
i plan to give the test by year end too

tc

by gmatjedi91 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:23 am
i hv no plan as such , but intend on starting verbal first and then moving onto quant!