Work Experience and Average age of the class

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Work Experience and Average age of the class

by sivagmat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:14 am
Hi ,
I have a confusion. Please clear this . I have two years of work experience and am still working in an IT industry. I just browsed through the websites of universities that I have shortlisted to apply for Fall 2014 intake. But in the list of current students or class of 2013 students or earlier, I hardly see anyone in my age group or with 2 or 3 years of experience.

My understanding now is, though 2 years experience is an admission criteria, most of the students joining are having a min of 4 years work experience. Am I correct? What is the exact scenario ? So, though I have a good profile, will my admission chances be dull due to this ? Please advice .

Thanks in advance,
Siva

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:14 pm
The average is JUST THAT... an Average. So obviously there are people will more work experience and also less work experience. I had some classmates who were straight out of undergrad. Surely they were few and far between but they did exist. Remember that even someone with the avg. gmat score, avg. gpa, avg # yrs of work experience etc etc still are no admitted to schools. If you know that NOW is the right time to get your MBA and you can convey that in your essays and interviews then don't worry about it. Let me caveat that last sentence by saying that yes, you are in an incredibly competitive group - or so I assume (correct me if I'm wrong).
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sivagmat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:16 am
money9111 wrote:The average is JUST THAT... an Average. So obviously there are people will more work experience and also less work experience. I had some classmates who were straight out of undergrad. Surely they were few and far between but they did exist. Remember that even someone with the avg. gmat score, avg. gpa, avg # yrs of work experience etc etc still are no admitted to schools. If you know that NOW is the right time to get your MBA and you can convey that in your essays and interviews then don't worry about it. Let me caveat that last sentence by saying that yes, you are in an incredibly competitive group - or so I assume (correct me if I'm wrong).
First of all, thanks for your quick reply. But I still want more valuable advice for you :). I am yet to write my GMAT exam . I have shortlisted the following universities ,
1)Wisconsin Madison University
2)Texas A and M University
3)Tippie business school ,University of Iowa
4)University of Texas Dallas

Now that I am confident with my GMAT, I am not confident with my essays. As far as I researched I see only a less percentage of young people in these universities(ie of my age group, 2 yrs of xp). And my experience being technical, I don't have a hands on management experience. So, though I have interest in management, I don't know how to use my experience, in order to prove that I am eligible in pursuing MBA.

As of now, I am confident with my GMAT. But I am totally confused or not confident in the rest of the process.
Thanks again :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:46 pm
Hey there,

I'll be blunt here - hold off on your applications. Even if you had above average work experiences, as an international, male, Indian, IT applicant, you are playing at a whole different level. While the previous poster was correct in saying there are those with just as many years of experience as you (or less) who get in every year, the statistics there are drastically low. For outliers to exist, they need to shock and awe the adcom and that is difficult to pull off at your age.

Additionally, at the moment, I'm not sure what you're considering to be the driving factors of your "good profile". Perhaps you can share?

Additionally, how did you choose those schools? Why do you want an MBA?

I'm not trying to be mean here or badger you but it's our responsibility as professionals to give you candid and frank advice. At the moment, I think there is a lot of focused, strategic work you need to do on your profile.

In the near term, yes, knock out that GMAT. It's great that you're confident in it! So go out there and rock it! Keep in mind you need a 720ish just to be on par for your applicant pool so study hard and knock it out of the park.

Then, focus on your career and involvement. Find roles and responsibilities that help you build a strong profile that speaks to numerous key themes. I'm talking about more than just leadership here - there are a host of other things you need to demonstrate.

Also, over the next few years, continue to post on these forums and read the threads. Getting educated about the process early can make a big difference in how you prepare yourself for it!

If you have any questions or want to talk about the road ahead, don't hesitate to reach out. I hope this was helpful and I am terribly sorry if any of this came across as mean - that wasn't my intention in the slightest!

Cheers,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 pm
"But I still want more valuable advice for you.." this came across as very demanding. I understand that probably wasn't the intention, but that brings up something else in this whole scheme of applying to business school. That whole EQ that people talk about will come in to play with your application and the competitive group that you're a part of.

The above comments are very good and probably your best best.

You have yet to describe WHY YOU WANT AN MBA NOW as opposed to just saying that you want an MBA. Stop worrying about percentages of people blah blah etc etc. The numbers speak for themselves. Yes, if you wait a couple years and gain some experience then you'll be better off. If that's what you want to hear... then you have two people who have told you that. Are people in b-school with 2 years of experience? Yes, for sure... can YOU be one of those people? Eh.... I don't know enough about you.

Whether you apply today or in 3/4 years answer me this question. Why should a b-school choose you, and Indian IT Male w/ a HIgh GMAT score... over someone else with the same background?

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:29 pm
"But I still want more valuable advice for you.." this came across as very demanding. I understand that probably wasn't the intention, but that brings up something else in this whole scheme of applying to business school. That whole EQ that people talk about will come in to play with your application and the competitive group that you're a part of.

You have yet to describe WHY YOU WANT AN MBA NOW as opposed to just saying that you want an MBA. Stop worrying about percentages of people blah blah etc etc. The numbers speak for themselves. Yes, if you wait a couple years and gain some experience then you'll be better off. If that's what you want to hear... then you have two people who have told you that. Are people in b-school with 2 years of experience? Yes, for sure... can YOU be one of those people? Eh.... I don't know enough about you.

Whether you apply today or in 3/4 years answer me this question. Why should a b-school choose you, and Indian IT Male w/ a HIgh GMAT score... over someone else with the same background?

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm