diagramming in cr

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

diagramming in cr

by habibiubat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:51 am
How effective is diagramming in solving CR questions? I have tried MGMAT's diagramming techniques and It seems that I am going nowhere with these. It takes at least 1.50 mins to do the diagrams and another 1 min to read and evaluate the answer choices. No matter what I do, I can't lower my response time below 2.50 mins. Are there any better ways to approach the CR questions? Please help me out.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:20 am
If a technique is making you take that much time, you should stop using it.

Is it the reading of the question or the answer selection that is taking you so long?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by melguy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:31 am
Diagramming mentioned in the MGMAT is certainly not the best way you could tackle CR questions. During the real GMAT you won't even read half of what you wrote in the diagrams. You should try another approach.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by habibiubat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 am
It is the actual diagram creating process that is taking up the most time. I am getting lost in the details and taking up too much time to think up abbreviations for certain words or logic sequences. But once I am done with the diagram, I am almost always correct with my answer choice. If I do not diagram, however, I can get the qs over with within 2 mins but my accuracy level drops to 70-75%.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 pm
Hi habibiubat,

To solve most questions on the GMAT, you'll have to take some notes and keep your work organized. Most GMAT prep companies provide a method (or template) for how you should do this work. If a particular method doesn't help you to answer the questions (and do so relatively quickly), then you need to find a different approach. The EMPOWERgmat program uses a tactic called the CRBox, which you'll probably find easier to use. If you're interested in seeing how it works, then you can view the entire course for free for 24 hours.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]