Whoever v/s Whichever

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Whoever v/s Whichever

by Siddus Singhus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:49 am
Hi,

I need a clarification on which (if any) of the below statements is correctly constructed.

(1) To whichever genius stole the name "Usual Suspects" for "The Deloitte Contest"... damn you!

(2) To whoever genius stole the name "Usual Suspects" for "The Deloitte Contest"... damn you!

Please add a brief explanation if you can! Thank you!

by Siddus Singhus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:57 am
Please ignore the impropriety of using ellipses, my focus is on "whoever" versus "whichever", thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 am
HI SS,

"Whoever" vs. "whichever" isn't likely to be a rule that you face on test day (and if it does happen to show up, then there will be other more-common grammar rules that you'll be able to use to answer the question).

That having been said, either word COULD be used in the sentence, but the second sentence has some redundancy:

1) To whichever genius.... This is fine. The word "whichever" implies an "unknown without a subject" and "genius" provides the subject.
2) To whoever genius.... This feels redundant because "whoever" gives us the subject; "genius" is the same subject (thus it feels redundant). Try reading the second sentence with the word "genius" in it:

2) To whoever stole.... This is fine.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am
HI SS,

"Whoever" vs. "whichever" isn't likely to be a rule that you face on test day (and if it does happen to show up, then there will be other more-common grammar rules that you'll be able to use to answer the question).

That having been said, either word COULD be used in the sentence, but the second sentence has some redundancy:

1) To whichever genius.... This is fine. The word "whichever" implies an "unknown without a subject" and "genius" provides the subject.
2) To whoever genius.... This feels redundant because "whoever" gives us the subject; "genius" is the same subject (thus it feels redundant). Try reading the second sentence with the word "genius" in it:

2) To whoever stole.... This is fine.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:00 am
Siddus Singhus wrote:Hi,

I need a clarification on which (if any) of the below statements is correctly constructed.

(1) To whichever genius stole the name "Usual Suspects" for "The Deloitte Contest"... damn you!

(2) To whoever genius stole the name "Usual Suspects" for "The Deloitte Contest"... damn you!

Please add a brief explanation if you can! Thank you!
Whichever can serve as a modifier:
Please choose whichever book you like.
Here, whichever serves to modify book.

But whoever CANNOT serve as a modifier.
Thus, whoever genius is incorrect.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Siddus Singhus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:04 am
Thanks guys!

Rich, precisely, it was the redundancy that I was worried about ("whoever" already has a subject a la "whichever person").

And Mitch, thanks for confirming the answer. I wanted to be 100% sure "whoever" could not be used as a modifier since it is already 'personal' therefore could be said to have a subject within itself.