Prepping for my 3rd GMAT Attempt

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Prepping for my 3rd GMAT Attempt

by bluepearl4u » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 am
I am currently in the process of studying for my third attempt at the GMAT. I currently work in higher education, and I am all to aware that without a Master's degree my hope of moving up in my career are limited.

While I at some point in time did plan to enter into grad school, my initial attempt came about when my supervisor informed me that he was starting his PhD program. With this new information I know that it would only be a matter of time once my boss received his PhD that he would more than likely be looking to move up in higher ed. as well.

Looking back I went into my first attempt ALL WRONG. I tried to cram in about a month with the hopes of starting a Master's program the same time that my boss would start school as a way of giving myself some leverage should the change for advance present itself. Of course I did not make the required score to enter into the program, but motivated more so by fear of not being in a MA program, I decided to retake the exam only a month later and of course I did worse. Feeling deflated both emotionally and financially I decided I would just put my grad school aspiration on hold until I felt a little better about myself.

Flash forward a year later, and I am in a slightly better place with wanting to once again attempt the GMAT. I realize that I was giving myself unrealistic timelines to do what I needed to do and that I was not entering into the testing process with the right mindset.

While I have informed my supervisor that I am in the process of attempting the GMAT again, and he is completely supportive of my attempts, I would greatly appreciate any guidance and/or support on how I can combat my test anxiety.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 am
I think you have figured this out, but the most important thing is to give yourself enough time to prepare. Your anxiety will subside as you become more confident with the material.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm
Hi bluepearl,

Don't get too down on yourself. Many Test Takers repeat the GMAT and Business Schools really don't care how many times you take the test. With this go around, plan on spending a bit more time in your studies and plan a bit better so that you can pace yourself. If you're looking for an elite score, then you might have to work a little harder and/or spend a bit more money, but some people do just fine with self-studying. Take advantage of all the free resources that are available to you. The GMAT is predictable. You don't have to "like" what's on it, but with practice, you'll know what's coming and you'll know how to handle it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]