modifier

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

modifier

by allfta » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 am
84. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.
(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home
(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable
(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

OA) E

In choice C, OG says that " long before ~" part should come to head of the sentence and it is the expected word order, but I can't understand the differences btw the position head and back.

-----------------------------------------------
Regarding modifier issue, I have one more.

Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again.

this is the wrong answer choice and OG says, with another issue of wine, "they" is too far from Sales. But say you can see, there is no other noun that the pronoun can match with. How can I understand this?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:13 am
The reason why is the use of the infinitive form of the verb 'to be' is a bit awkward.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by allfta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:58 am
Thanks you Jim

Two more question.

1. what is the difference between "to be" and "it is X to be ~"? Would u explain little bit more?
I wish I can feel it awkward as you do.... ,but cant. haha....ㅜ.ㅜ

2.Then, what if I simply move the first modifying part of D to end of the sentence? Like this;

Josephine Baker made Paris her home, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate

ps) sorry the OA seems like D not E...:p

Jim@StratusPrep wrote:The reason why is the use of the infinitive form of the verb 'to be' is a bit awkward.

by vietmoi999 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:09 am
this question is discussed but the discussion is not full.

1, gmat prefer
it is adjective to do something
than
to do something is adjective.

So, C is out.
2, in E
it is adjective being...
is not idiomatic

E is out.

3, in B.
"for joseb Baker" mofifies the clause " paris was her home" so this phrase should be closed to that clause.

B is out.

4, in A.

"her " is redundant.
A is out.

the redundancy problem in A is easy to explain but hard to realize on the test day. This make this sentence very very hard.

D is also not perfect. "she" in D is redundant. This error is unacceptable in many other sc problems in og books because there is better choices in those problems.

but in this problem , this error in D is good.

I want experts to discuss more on this problem.

thank you.