700: Strategy, Work and God

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:700

700: Strategy, Work and God

by alastairmckee » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:28 am
I took the GMAT for the first time last week and scored 700 (Q45 V40). I've been studying for about 5 months, and I probably put in something like 250 hours. I have always been pretty good at math, however, it has been years since I took a class, and I felt like I was learning many of the concepts for the first time. Here are my practice test results:

23 Feb: GMAT 1 640
3 Mar: Princeton 610
3 May: GMAT 1 Retake 710
8 May: MGMAT 1 660
17 May: Hult Practice Test 680
22 May: MGMAT 2 620
29 May: MGMAT 3 670
3 June: GMAT 1 Retake 710
14 June: MGMAT 4 660
21 June: Babson Practice Test 750
25 June: GMAT 2 710
26 June: MGMAT 5 680
28 June: Economist 710

3 July: Real GMAT 700

As you can see, I did a lot of practice tests, which was great preparation. Here are the most important lessons I learned:

LEARN THE TEST It is so important to understand how the GMAT works. For example, if it seems like every question is incredibly difficult, don't get upset, it probably just means that you are doing really well! Make sure you learn about time management, it is important to balance getting questions correct with not wasting time. If you are like me, you won't be able to do both all the time, so know when it is best to move on. Understand what it is like to get tired and lose focus, and build up your stamina over time. Other things like learning how to eliminate answers and other test strategies are crucial also. Like I said, learn the test!

WORK HARD Give the GMAT your best shot. Don't start studying a week before the test. Real progress takes time. Think of the GMAT as a job that you get paid for. I mean, imagine getting a big scholarship at the end of it, and it could be seen as similar to job, right? Anyway, give the GMAT the respect it deserves, and study, study, study. You will be better off because of it.

LOOK TO GOD This is my most important point. If you are reading this, don't skip over this or reject it as ridiculous. The GMAT has been another experience in my life that has taught me that God is there, and that He wants me to do well. I know that God wants all of His children to be successful, and I know from experience that He can and will help you, if you ask and work. During my whole GMAT experience, I prayed before I studied, and I believe that doing so helped me to understanding things and to learn. Leading up to the test, I prayed hard, and many people prayed in my behalf also, asking to get a 700, and it happened. Of course, you have to study hard. There is a saying that goes "Pray like it is all up to God, and work like it is all up to you." There is wisdom in that. I am thankful to God for His help. I am a mormon (LDS), and I know God can and will help you if you ask him, regardless of your religious beliefs, if you put your trust in Him.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you have a good experience with the GMAT!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ani781 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 am
Thats a great debrief... I would like to congratulate you !! And I loved the piece on God , especially because I believe in something similar. Btw, can you please share the resources that you were using ... It would be of immense help if you could inform / guide on that front and share your experience.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by alastairmckee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 am
I used the following:

Official GMAT guide 12 and 13 - lots of overlap but that's OK
Princeton 1,037 questions
Official GMAT software - paid for the extra questions
Official GMAT Verbal book
LOADS of smartphone apps - Allen GMAT TestBank, GMAT toolkit (paid for questions), Veritas Prep, etc.
As many practice tests as I could find
Prayer and fasting

And I played lots of Sudoku!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Cosmas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 am
AMEN!!

I have never really commented on posts. Not to say they don mean much but I couldn't resisit the urge to bless your post,especially the part on the importance of acknowledging Christ, our Lord. I am really touched by that. I pray that the Lord continue to grant you the desires of your heart. With my test a week away, I really pray that the Lord opens his doors for me also. Prayer is the most lethal weapon no matter what level of preparation. I salute you!

In God we trust!