Help an Old Guy Get to 720 from 680?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Help an Old Guy Get to 720 from 680?

by Woodencrawdad » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:26 pm
I just took my GMAT and scored a 680 (Q42, V41). I am not displeased with my score as I am a 31 year old non traditional who has done self-study. I am a Native Speaker and the verbal was lower than most of my practice exams (think I messed up the timing toward the end). But I also know I'm capable of a 700+. My last 2 practice exams were 740 and 710. I'm in MENSA so I've got the IQ for it - not bragging at all. I clearly know that I'm rusty from being out of school a long LONG time (and I wasn't a math major). I'm excellent at calculations but I'm definitely in need of some more theory - especially number properties. And I struggle with data sufficiency and figuring out exactly what their asking.

I would like to re-take the test in 4-6 weeks. I think the biggest thing I need is actual input from someone on my strength's and weaknesses. I love GMATClub but I need an expert in quant to look over what I'm good at and what I need work on, help me think through how to get the most bang for my buck in the next month or so of study. I'm sort of in that "I don't know what I don't know" stage.

How I prepared for my exam:

Went through OG Guide Problems (can do most quickly and easily)
Went through most of the Manhattan books (not religiously but most of them)
Magoosh - loved this service. Great short videos but no actual interaction. They were awesome on e-mail, though. Highly recommend.

Where to go from here? I don't need to start back at square one (I don't think) and take an entire class (Knewton, Manhattan, etc). I need a sort of "Finishing School" - the help to go up to a 720 or higher.

Are there tutoring options available for 5-10 sessions? I don't have a huge amount of money to throw at this but I think a few sessions with a tutor would me immensely valuable.

Any suggestions? I'm targeting Duke's full-time program as I'm headed toward brand management (coming from non-profit background).

GMAT/MBA Expert

Official Company Rep
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bhavin@Magoosh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:49 am
Hi! Glad you found Magoosh helpful. Even though we don't offer tutoring, feel free to email in and ask one of our experts to look over your Magoosh account and performance. They may be able to provide some advice on how to get you to 720.

Thanks!
Bhavin
Bhavin Parikh
Magoosh Test Prep
Haas MBA 2010