Suggestions on reading capability

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Suggestions on reading capability

by Mario_87 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:20 am
Hi to all,
I am preparing for the test, and I find the verbal section more difficoult (in terms of time spent to come up with a solution) than the quantitative section.

This is because I am a non-native english speaker, so in order to improve effectively my english reading-reasoning ability I would like to ask if anyone has suggestions on how to deal with it (for instance, if it is useful to read the new york times or the economist in the free time, or if there is a particular newspaper writer whose articles could help)

Thank you in advance,
I really appreciate any suggetions

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:36 pm
Hi Mario_87,

The suggestion to read from scholarly journals (The Economist, etc.) is an interesting way to build RC reading skills but it's not necessarily going to improve your RC performance because those articles do NOT come with GMAT questions attached.

Effective practice requires an understanding of what MATTERS in an RC passage and what doesn't, the proper way to take notes as you read (the Empowergmat Method is called the RC Ladder), an understanding of the types of questions and the common types of wrong answers that you'll see with each question. In short, you have to be trained in how to do RC. If you're averse to spending a lot of money, then I recommend that you review some of the low-price options listed on this site and pick the one that best fits your sensibilities.

As a nudge to help you improve, try thinking about WHY a sentence or paragraph is there (what purpose does it serve), as opposed to trying to understand or memorize every nitpick detail.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]