Choosing the Right University -- USA

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Choosing the Right University -- USA

by sivagmat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:58 pm
Hi ,

Please help me to make the right decision. I have two years of work experience and an above average Academic record.
I am yet to write my GMAT. The test date is on Aug 17th. My plan is to apply in the first round of applications to the universities which I have short listed. I have right now short listed top 5 Public Universities in the US.
My question is
1)If I get a good GMAT score of above 700 and if I apply in the first round of applications will I be able to make it to any of these universities ?
2)If I get a considerably low score between 620 - 650 , what will be the case ?

Please advice me whether I am going on a right track because I am very much worried about the probability of getting into a B School in the US and I am pretty much confident that I will get a high GMAT score.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:24 am
Hi sivagmat - hate to say it but it's impossible to answer that question, nobody but the adcom can tell you if you're gonna get in (obviously, right?) but even when we give feedback on profiles on these forums, we need a lot more information in order to even start to guess as to outcomes.

To try to still be useful: :-)

1. For an Indian applicant, a 700 isn't actually a "high" GMAT score. You should be aiming for 720 or higher; that's the average GMAT for Indians accepted to good schools. A high score doesn't guarantee you anything but a lower score can keep you out. To be clear, a 700 isn't "low" but it's not distinctive among your class of candidate. Aim high and you'll have much better chances.
2. Those scores definitely are low in this context. Your chances may go out the window with a 620 level GMAT - though it's unfair to be so black-and-white about it, since the adcoms look at EVERYTHING and the GMAT is just one component. But in your applicant pool, then a score at that level will make things very challenging (if you score that low, then we would suggest not bothering with Round 1, and instead work hard to bring the score up and submit your apps in Round 2 instead).

Round 1 is an advantage, but more important is what the schools always say: Apply when you're ready. If your GMAT score is not high enough then you're not "ready" and a Round 1 app may be a waste.

Hope that helps!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 pm
Hi Sivagmat,
I would personally not worry too much about your GMAT. The GMAT score becomes progressively more important to the schools lower down in the rankings - having said that, the further you are from a solid "730-750" score, the more effort you have to put in to differentiate yourself i.e. its doable only requires more time, effort and retrospection.
Thanks,
Indradeep
Expert MBA Admissions Consulting
AGSM MBA and Management Consultant in Sydney
In India 10th to 12th July

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:40 am
Indradeep wrote:The GMAT score becomes progressively more important to the schools lower down in the rankings.
This is categorically untrue.
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:43 pm
Hi mate,
That is not untrue. Let me explain what I meant. The weight age of the GMAT is much higher in lower ranked colleges as they look to recruit high GMAT scores to boost their ranking. HBS or LBS on the other hand look for diversity as their ranking determinant is less GMAT and more ratings of professors and recruitment programs not to mention the reputation the alumni enjoy.
I am happy to be corrected but this is based on my observations with students across the spectrum.
Cheers

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:32 pm
Hi sivagmat - A solution would be to spend another year working and studying, and seeing if you can improve your score next year. I attended an excellent MBA program at Babson College in Wellesley after working at a company for 5 years. I found that this was the norm amongst many of my classmates. More work experience might be really beneficial to you.
Last edited by campbellronald7 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:36 pm
Hi sivagmat - A solution would be to spend another year working and studying, and seeing if you can improve your score next year. I attended an excellent MBA program at Babson College in Wellesley after working at a company for 5 years. I found that this was the norm amongst many of my classmates. More work experience might be really beneficial to you.