710...should I retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

710...should I retake?

by y7214001 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:05 am
After 2 months of studying in between a hectic work schedule, i managed to to break into the 700+club. I scored 710 [Q 49 and V35]. I'm still waiting for the IR and AWA result.I'm satisfied by the score however, but i might not have done well in the IR section.
I feel that I could have done better in the verbal section because I was consistently scoring between 37-40 on the MGMAT.
I belong to an over-represented group (indian,male,engineering)and i'm targeting the top mba programs in the US.The reason i'm worried is because my academic profile is decent but nothing outstanding.
I would really appreciate some feedback.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:35 am
Unfortunately, I would say that taking the exam is probably a good idea. This is not the only thing however; focus on getting some leadership experience on your resume.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:43 am
At last some honest perspective. When you and your recommender say that you are smart, Adcoms may/maynot believe you. When GMAT/GPA/Solid-Work Ex say that you are smart it's hard not to believe you.

Jim,

What will be your strategy for someone who wants to increase verbal from 35-44 ? Practicing questions and giving tests may not solve problem as believe non-natives struggle not so much in comprehending the question given more time but in their processing speed of the language (that is reading speed).
Believe spending 50% time in reading Economist/Non Fiction and 50% time in GMAT specific preparation, is the ideal combination. Would you suggest some other combination ?

Thanks
AbhiJ

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by send2dar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:55 am
I am in exactly the same boat. I should say exactly the same boat. My score is 710 (Q:49, V: 35). My IR was 7 and AWA 5. Would someone please help me understand my chances of getting admission into top 10 universities in US and Top 5 in Europe?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by basso25@ » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:47 am
definitely agree with the other posters here - makes sense to take it again, particularly given that it does not look like your verbal potential has been actualized.

good luck, and please keep us posted! dig deep.