Hi all,

Looking for all the help I can get! Please evaluate me:

1. Nationality: American
2. 26/Male/Circassian
3. Undergrad GPA: 3.8
4. Undergrad: accounting/finance at a Cal State University
5. GMAT: 720 (41 V, 47 Q, IR 8)
6. Work exp:
"¢ 3.5 years as an analyst doing portfolio management work at a large, well known not-for-profit ($10b+ in investable assets). I help review, oversee, and invest the organization's portfolios.
"¢ Two Internships at large pension fund
7. Extra-curricular: Passed CFA exams, volunteer with local CFA society, leadership positions in college accounting/finance clubs

Career goal is to continue to work in the not for profit/NGO sector, concentrating on finance and/or strategy. Wondering how much my undergrad hurts my chances, as well as what schools would be in my reach.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:18 pm
Hey there,

While your undergrad institution isn't as highly ranked as some others out there, your GPA is still great and helps compensate for it. It doesn't erase your undergrad institution, but it makes it far less important. Between your GPA and GMAT (and CFA), you clearly can handle academic rigor. Probably more so than most given your CFAs. So unless there is a reason we would use your undergrad institution as a part of your story, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Overall, your profile is interesting. You've gone the inverse of most people and that's kind of cool. Most do something very corporate related and then try to give back in their free time. You, on the other hand, make an impact every day at your non-profit position and work on the side to help others achieve their professional goals. The story has within it all the necessary themes but can be conveyed in a fun way.

If your goal is to remain in the non-profit sector, a couple of schools definitely come to mind including Yale, Haas, Columbia, and Ross. I think all of these schools are, to varying degrees, within reach and realistic schools. If you wanted to throw in a stretch school or two, look to Stanford or Kellogg. If you're looking to expand your skill sets in Finance and Strategy, then I think Columbia and Ross are better programs than Haas and Yale but both Haas and Yale have stronger non profit programs. Essentially, there's a balance here. The good thing is all of these programs give you strong, general programs as well so in the event you want to go out of non profit, you have that option.

In summary, I think you're pretty aligned with the 7 - 15 schools. Above that, you're looking at stretch programs but I think you shouldn't rule them out.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by ErinaApphelp » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 am
Hi,

As you have good GMAT and GPA, I believe your undergrad institute should not be a problem. With the given information, you may target schools like: Booth, NYU-Stern, MIT-Sloan, Berkeley- Haas, UCLA-Anderson, INSEAD, Kellogg, Tuck, Tepper and Ross. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking https://goo.gl/onTKu. Having said that, to convert your chances from application to admission, you need to submit strong application essays and work hard on interviews.

Let me know in case of further queries.

Regards
Erina

caffoo wrote:Hi all,

Looking for all the help I can get! Please evaluate me:

1. Nationality: American
2. 26/Male/Circassian
3. Undergrad GPA: 3.8
4. Undergrad: accounting/finance at a Cal State University
5. GMAT: 720 (41 V, 47 Q, IR 8)
6. Work exp:
"¢ 3.5 years as an analyst doing portfolio management work at a large, well known not-for-profit ($10b+ in investable assets). I help review, oversee, and invest the organization's portfolios.
"¢ Two Internships at large pension fund
7. Extra-curricular: Passed CFA exams, volunteer with local CFA society, leadership positions in college accounting/finance clubs

Career goal is to continue to work in the not for profit/NGO sector, concentrating on finance and/or strategy. Wondering how much my undergrad hurts my chances, as well as what schools would be in my reach.

Thanks!
GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school
Free Profile Evaluation- https://www.apphelp.co.in/

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 am
Your grades are excellent and your GMAT is about at the average of the schools to which you are applying. I think your grades largely mitigate the quality of your undergraduate institution since your GMAT score corroborates your grades.

Your experience is outstanding. I think given your career goals Yale and Haas are target schools along with Kellogg and Columbia as doable reach schools. You might also consider NYU Stern.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by caffoo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:57 pm
Thanks for all the responses! The schools listed were among my targets, so I'm feeling a bit relieved.

Thanks again!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:50 am
Glad we can help.

Keep us informed as to your application progress and if you wish a more detailed free assessment feel free to contact us.

Enjoy your weekend,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 am
Our pleasure - good luck and feel free to reach out as you go through the process!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!