00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form. Because the long-term side effects of synthetic melatonin are unknown, however, I cannot recommend its use at this time.

Patient: Your position is inconsistent with your usual practice. You prescribe many medications that you know have serious side effects, so concern about side effects cannot be the real reason you will not prescribe melatonin.

The patient's argument is flawed because it fails to consider that

(A) the side effects of synthetic melatonin might be different from those of naturally produced melatonin

(B) it is possible that the physician does not believe that melatonin has been conclusively shown to be effective

(e) sleep disorders, if left untreated, might lead to serious medical complications

(D) the side effects of a medication can take some time to manifest themselves

(E) known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot

OA E

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mgmt_gmat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I have chosen (E)..

In question stimulus " Because the long-term side effects of synthetic melatonin are unknown"......

In the choice (E) , point of known and unknown side effects clearly resolve the issue.

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by gmattesttaker2 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

komal wrote:Physician: The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form. Because the long-term side effects of synthetic melatonin are unknown, however, I cannot recommend its use at this time.

Patient: Your position is inconsistent with your usual practice. You prescribe many medications that you know have serious side effects, so concern about side effects cannot be the real reason you will not prescribe melatonin.

The patient's argument is flawed because it fails to consider that

(A) the side effects of synthetic melatonin might be different from those of naturally produced melatonin

(B) it is possible that the physician does not believe that melatonin has been conclusively shown to be effective

(e) sleep disorders, if left untreated, might lead to serious medical complications

(D) the side effects of a medication can take some time to manifest themselves

(E) known risks can be weighed against known benefits, but unknown risks cannot

OA E

I was stuck between B and E and I chose B. I was just wondering why B is wrong? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Sri

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by theunheardmelody » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:11 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

My choice is E.

Reasoning - Physician does not know long term effect of Melatonin.

Patient - Other drugs were recommended even though physician was aware of serious side effects.

Only way patient can be wrong if E was true. Since the risk of Melatonin can be so bad that the physician might not recommend it if he/she knew.

Reason why B cannot be the asnwer is because of the first line "The hormone melatonin has shown promise as a medication for sleep disorders when taken in synthesized form.". So B cannot be true from the given arguement.

Hope this helps. ;)