Unlike the conviction held by many of his contemporaries, in

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:590
Unlike the conviction held by many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, that the Earth was flat and still, Galileo stuck to his own theories about how the Earth was a round globe moving about space, and now many years later, we know that Galileo was correct.
(A) Unlike the conviction held by many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, that the Earth was flat and still
(B) Although many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, were of the conviction of the Earth being flat and still
(C) Contrary to many of his contemporaries, fellow astronomers included, being convinced that the Earth was flat and still
(D) Even though many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, were convinced that the Earth was flat and still
(E) Even with many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, convinced of the Earth being flat and still

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:29 am

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by siddhantlife » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:13 pm
My take is Option D.
Is it the correct answer?

Followed by:1 members

by aaggar7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:12 am
Hi Varun289,

The words such as Unlike,Contrary,Despite,Although are used for contrast and hence calls for a prallel struture to be fillowed in the sentence.

(A) Unlike the conviction held by many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, that the Earth was flat and still

- "unlike the Conviction"... is compared with "Galileo stuck...".This structure is not parallel.You cannot compare conviction with Galileo.

(B) Although many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, were of the conviction of the Earth being flat and still

-Avoid being usage.Moreover,verb form(convinced) is preferred over the noun(cnviction).

(C) Contrary to many of his contemporaries, fellow astronomers included, being convinced that the Earth was flat and still

-Usage of being is incorrect

(D) Even though many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, were convinced that the Earth was flat and still
-Correct.Parallel structure is maintained.

(E) Even with many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, convinced of the Earth being flat and still
-Usage of being is incorrect

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:11 am
varun289 wrote:Unlike the conviction held by many of his contemporaries, including fellow astronomers, that the Earth was flat and still, Galileo stuck to his own theories about how the Earth was a round globe moving about space, and now many years later, we know that Galileo was correct.
In A, unlike the conviction seems to modify Galileo, implying that Galileo was unlike the conviction -- an illogical comparison.
Eliminate A.

In B, the conviction of the Earth conveys a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate B.

In C, his contemporaries being convinced implies that some unknown third party was convincing his contemporaries at the same time as Galileo stuck to his own theories.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate C.

In E, convinced of the Earth conveys a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3