Working during your MBA

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:620

Working during your MBA

by vgr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 am
well I wanted to know if it was really possible to work during your MBA. Considering the amount of work you would be expected to do during the course, I was not sure if this was a possibility. I have upto never had to work while I have studied[That's cuz i've only studied in India]. If I were to go to another country, looking at the expenses, I would invariably think of working there while I study.
So it would be great if you'll could tell me what it's like and how you'll cope with the work load at school

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Hello!

Working while you are doing an MBA is a bad idea because even if you did get the extra time, you want to spend that working on improving your profile. So you want to be dotting your i's and crossing your t's rather than correcting undergraduate answer sheets.

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 pm
i just started my Core classes today @ Johnson and can say that it's not even an option to work during a full-time MBA program. i don't know anyone who has done it unless they own their own business back home and are just sending a few emails back to the troops here and there...
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by soniat2 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 am
I'm not really sure what I will do with the MBA. It's too early to tell. I got the MBA because I was awaiting acceptance to medical school. While I was waiting, I figured that I needed a backup in case I didn't get in.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:35 am
Hi vgr,

It won't be an easy ride for you to manage work and studies together. In general students don't get the time for part time or manage both the things together. What you can do is maybe give a week or two to see if you can manage part time and studies. If you are a quick learner and exceptional student you might be able to handle this.

by theyouthexpress » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 am
I'm doing MBA from Punjab Technical university & also work in a MNC company.....
Youth Development Magazine for the youth.

by sabrasmith11 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:35 am
Working during your MBA is really not a easy job. MBA demand time so that we get good marks . You have to maintain a balance in it. That is more relevant & more useful . Working during MBA is great experience . you need to made a balance :D

by mjacobson1986 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 pm
Yeah man, there is no way to do any full time job during your MBA. So much of the experience here happens outside of class. I just started at HBS, and if I was working full time, I would miss out on really core parts of the experience here.

by CalvinBrave » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:43 pm
Hi,
Happy new to all.

Doing job while studying MBA is not a bad idea but that should be in distance basis. It also helps the student in financial field.

Thanks a lot
Calvin Brave

Scholarships For Talented But Poor Students In India

by shameekamackey » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 am
It is possible to work part time but it is so hard. You'll be preoccupied and you cannot give your 100% to your studies.
I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday.--unknown

by ssnrobtcok » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 am
Duncan's right. One thing to note is that you can still get a work visa after your MBA program, but you have to have a job lined up by the time you graduate.

by Strausandrew » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:47 am
It also depends on the program. If this is a private school and their reputation and income depend on a high graduation rate, it may be easier for you although the quality of your education may also suffer.You should also explore opportunities available in your university. Not only do you get paid well if you work with a good organisation but also, it increases your employability on completion of the MBA program.Also if the MBA program means new classes for you, subjects you are not familiar with, require a lot of math work then of course they eat up more time than you might be planning for.

by coolcalmphil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:31 pm
During first year of any program, it will be too difficult. 2nd-year, yes. not during first year.
MBAGMATSCORE.COM

Followed by:1 members

by sjkslskkjd487 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:54 am
You have to pass the 1st part soon. Because the 1st year is very difficult then the 2nd year not much hard. So that time you can join to a job with your MBA.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 am
Hi vgr,

I think the people on this thread have had some great points. I strongly advise my clients to avoid working during their MBAs if at all possible. I don't want to restate anything said above but mjacobson1986 is spot on. The majority of the experience takes place outside of the classroom in organizations, activities, and events. The time not spent in class should be spent exploring your passions, experiencing new things, and strengthening your friendships.

This is an experience you will take forward for the rest of your life. I understand how daunting the price tag can seem but the true value of an MBA isn't solely in the classroom. If you are getting a strong MBA stateside don't worry too much about the money aspect. I know that sounds crazy from where you are standing now but the money will come. You will be able to pay off your loans and you will be just fine.

But your future success will depend on what you make out of your MBA and the way to make the most out of it is to be present for every moment of it!

Good luck!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!