Mouse Malfunction During Quant - Lost Several Mins

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I had my GMAT on Friday. During the final third of the Quant my mouse fell apart (it was an old tracker ball mouse) and it took several mins to rectify (they had to go get a new one). I had to rush through guessing most of the remaining answers and even then did not finish all questions. My Quant score was consequently a terrible 29!

My verbal was 44 so that pulled me up to 600.

I had the superintendent file an incident report. When I raised the issue he at first dismissed me stating that it would not affect my score!

I am in the middle of a scholarship competition and do not really have time to retake the test.

I have emailed Pearson and await a solution to this. It was outside of my control and seriously damage my Q score.

Any expericence of this kind of thing out there?? What are my options?

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 am
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Sounds like the only thing to do is going to be to take it again when you can. Hope it all works out...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 am
Hello, Cryan. I am sorry to hear you experienced this issue. I contacted Pearson Vue to request more information and will let you know when I hear back from them.

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 am
Hello, Cryan. Please send an email to [email protected] with your name, email address and GMAT ID and include CS-106913-X1V1-0000 in the subject line. We would like to look into this further.

Thank you!

Rebecca
Leah

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by cryan » Wed May 22, 2013 4:20 am
Hi Rebecca,

I have sent the mail as requested.

Cheers,
Conor

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 am
Thank you Conor. We will look into this.
Leah

by cryan » Fri May 31, 2013 4:42 am
Well Pearson have responded most unsatisfactorily to my complaint. They have somehow reached the conclusion that I lost NO time during the incident!

I have phoned them and so far nothing has happened.

I don't know how they have reached this conclusion and I can only surmise that the invigilator did not file the incident report properly or that he is being untruthful about the way the incident was handled. I could also have mentioned that this particular guy actually interrupted me during the exam to ask me a question.

I'm obviously pretty furious at the moment; I paid good money for adequate testing facilities and Pearson VUE singularly failed to provide them.

I'm in the middle of a full scholarship competition so if they think I am just going to 'go away' they have another thing coming.

Please excuse the rant!

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 am
Hello, again. I am sorry to hear about this situation. I have contacted Pearson Vue again. Someone from there should be in touch with you again to follow up on this. I apologize for the situation.

Rebecca
Leah

by cryan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:41 am
Hi Rebecca,

The latest mail I have received from Pearson states that no incident report was filed (I physically observed the guy submit the report online.....he even showed me a reference number which I am now sorry that I didn't record).

Even more worryingly, the customer services rep stated that there were skipped questions; I know enough about the GMAT not to skip ANY questions (surely everybody knows not to do this!) and did not skip a single question. This is most disconcerting as if they are looking at the correct exam then it points to another problem with the test.

I don't know what is going on here - I have requested that somebody with authority telephone me.

I was the only person at the centre taking the GMAT that morning so it cannot be that hard to confirm what happened.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 am
The unanswered questions reference in the email may refer to items that were not completed before the section timed out. In any case, someone from Pearson Vue will be calling you directly to discuss the situation. I wish you the best of luck.

Rebecca
Leah