Multiple GMAT Scores??

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Multiple GMAT Scores??

by the answer 4 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:14 pm
Hi Stacy,

I have done several searches in the forum to find the answer but I haven't been able to find a consistent message. Could you please expand on the following question: how do universities handle multiple GMAT scores? For example, are the scores averaged or is the most recent score, or higher score considered?

I recently scored a 640. I am looking at schools like Columbia, NYU, Duke and Georgetown. The average score of each school pretty much hovers around 690-700, with G-town being slightly lower. With a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and typical MBA work experience [consulting at a reputable firm], I feel that I should retake the GMAT to strengthen my application. I know that you don’t know the rest of my application but do you think investing time & effort to retake the GMAT, given how schools handle multiple scores, would be wise? If so, based on your experience and what I described above, what would be a solid score to shoot for that gives me a shot at the aforementioned schools?

I appreciate your insight.
The Answer 4

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:20 pm
In general, a school will consider your highest score, or even the highest score per section, from different exams. They do not penalize you for retaking the exam and may even look favorably upon someone who has the persisitence to retake a few times and show improvement.

I feel that 680 is a minimum "comfortable" score although there is no minimum, so 680 is a loose target.

Only spend the time retaking if you really believe you can improve. Otherwise, you will be better off investing your time in other areas.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me