640 first practice test cold... 3 weeks to study!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello all,

I am taking the GMAT exam on June 15th. Today I took the first exam in the official GMATPrep software and scored a 640 (Q45,V32). The test was difficult but I rushed through it, had over 5 minutes left on the quant and almost 20 minutes left on the verbal.

As I have just graduated from college, I have all the time until the exam free to study and intend to put in at least 100 hours. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a study plan? I have the MGMAT guides as well as the official guide. I am also thinking about purchasing additional practice tests and more advanced books for tougher questions. I am used to long study sessions and am not afraid to do the work. My target score is at least a 700 but preferably 720+.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes,
Brandon

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu May 23, 2013 2:11 am
Hey Brandon,
Well in 3 weeks most people can usually make the a fair amount of progress on the Sentence Correction part of the exam. However, this depends on what your current SC level is. If you had some trouble with this section, start reading the Manhattan book right away along. At the same time I would alternate between studying the math guides and the SC book. Thus, when you're tired of studying math you study verbal and vice versa.

You should also work a bit on the RC and CR section it appears. For the CR section I think that Kaplan has a nice overview of what to do, and the CR Bible is a more in depth analysis of what needs to be done. As for the RC, you need to find a strategy that works for you. Some people like to take notes, other people find taking notes distracting. I usually have people take notes at the beginning and then take fewer notes as they get better. Another good way to prep for the RC section is to read newspaper articles everyday ( I like the opinion section in the NYtimes)

As for the math, you need to learn the strategy first and then do practice problems. Lots of them (preferably from the OGs). At the same time make sure you review your mistakes. Then do all the questions that gave you trouble a second time and a third time if necessary.

Finally, make sure you take a least 6 practice tests.

Cheers!
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by CCrunMiles » Thu May 23, 2013 8:44 am
Hi Dan,

Thank you for the quick and insightful response! Aside from the MGMAT guides and the OG, do you have any other good recommendations for books that have higher level problems in them? Also, what do you think are the best practice exams to do?

I appreciate all of the help!

Best wishes,
Brandon

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 pm
The Manhattan tests are pretty good. Also, you definitely need to the GMATPREP tests. A couple things to keep in mind when doing the GMATPREP tests-

1) When you finish the exam you won't be able to come back to the test after you close the application. So after you take the test make sure you review all of the questions before you close the application.

2) You can take each test on the GMATPrep application at least twice. Thus, you can take a total of four completely different exams (you may have one or two questions overlap, but it's still worth doing the tests again)

Cheers
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT