Please evaluate profile - 30/Female/IT GMAT 680

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile. I am in a fix.

My Profile:

Female/30/Indian/IT

1) Brief description of work experience.

7 Yrs of work exp in Sept 2013 in top Indian IT company. The client for the project is one of top 5 financial instituions in the world.360 degree experience in IT starting as a Software Developer to QA Tester to Business Analyst .Currently as a Project Lead handling a team of 10 resources.
I have a 360 degree experience in IT starting as a Software Developer to QA Tester to Business Analyst .Currently as a Project Lead handling a team of 10 resources. I have worked in USA for 3.5 years. For these 7 years , I have worked in Banking and Finance domain with a specialization in US Mortgage.

Also running a small startup business ,which I partner with my father . It is a new guest house and a small food joint setup in an area booming with business . I started it in Jan,2013 and investment for the startup was all done by me alone.
Also have a short term experience of working in an outbound call center after final year in college and before joining full - time work in IT.

2) GMAT.
Appeared twice :
1. 600(Q48, V25)
2. 680(Q47, V35)

3) Qualification:
B.Tech in Computer Science , West Bengal University of Technology , CGPA - 7.93
12th - 70%
10th - 92%

4) Extra-curricular activities.
- Captain of school Basket ball team.
- Won competitions related to shot put, javelin throw and long jump.
- Commander of School marching team
- Won the district painting competition for consecutive three years.
- Active involvement in our school's NGO by teaching english and maths to poor children in the area and organizing events of food sharing and gift sharing with the poor children.
- In college participated in college Fest. Played a role of event anchor and worked with core team for sponsorships in college fest.
- In the past 7 years , represented company in basket ball meets , fashion shows . Anchored formal events and corporate picnics.
- Family actively involved in community service through NGO's and I have volunteered in several such events.
- Basic knowledge of French Language
- Enrolled for an Interior Designing course.

5) Important certifications
Company Certified in Basics of US Mortgage and Credit Reporting

6) Target programs.
Good schools in Asia Pacific , USA , Europe , Australia. Preferential Course will be International Business, Consulting, Marketing and might be Information/Operation management

7) When to apply?
R1 2013-2014

8) Post-MBA goal.
My post-MBA goal is to grow my startup to have a chain of food joints .I also want to make a global impact to society and aspire to open my own NGO featuring Breast Cancer awareness programs .
I believe everything I want to do in life will be made easy with an MBA which will help develop the skill-set I need to grow my business ideas into scalable organizations while also making strides in global social concerns .

9) Additional Info
Language fluency in 4 languages, advanced in 3 , and developmental in French. Hobby is painting . Take interest in Car Racing , horse riding.

My questions are
1) Which all colleges should I apply. Preferential regions will be a )USA b) Europe/Australia c) Asia Pacific d)Canada. Kindly let me know the colleges that I have a shot at
2) Should I a retake of GMAT

The list of preferential colleges are below

USA colleges

Duke (Fuqua)
Virginia (Darden)
Yale
Cornell (Johnson)
Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
UCLA (Anderson)
Michigan (Ross)
Emory (Goizueta)
Texas--Austin (McCombs)
Indiana (Kelley)
USC (Marshall)
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
Georgetown (McDonough)
Rice (Jones)
Vanderbilt (Owen)
Wash U. (Olin)
OSU (Fisher)
Notre Dame (Mendoza)
Washington (Foster)

European Colleges
INSEAD, France
IE ,Madrid
IESE, Barcelona
IMD, Switzerland
HEC, Paris
Said ,Oxford
Judge, Cambridge
Rotterdam , Netherlands
Manchester Business school, England
ESADE, Barcelona

Asia Pacific Colleges

HKUST, Hong Kong
ISB, Hyderabad
CEIBS, China
NUS, Singapore
NTU, Singapore
AGSM, Sydney
Melbourne Business School
AIM ,Manila
XLRI, Jamshedpur
SP Jain, Mumbai

Canada
University of Toronto : Rotman
University of Western Ontario: Ivey
York University: Schulich
Mc Gill University: Desautels
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia :Sauder

Any suggestion would be of great help.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 pm
Your profile is overall good. You have solid work experience, a good GMAT, and lots of good extras in your background. Helping you with your school choice is gonna be hard though. You put so many schools on your list that you might as well have put all of them!

To choose a school you need to find the nice conjunction between two points 1. Where can you get in? 2. Where do you WANT to get in?

And nobody can tell you number two - I would suggest that you spend the next month and a half reading brochures of those schools, and what people say about them on forums to whittle down your school list to about 5-10, based on fit, location, program type, etc.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by ArpitaGanguly100 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 pm
thanks for the reply. I thought of covering all the geography while posting but now I have narrowed it down to just the US colleges and modified it a bit. Can you please help in suggesting which one will be a stretch and which one will be safe.

Duke (Fuqua)
Virginia (Darden)
Yale
Cornell (Johnson)
Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
UCLA (Anderson)
Michigan (Ross)
Emory (Goizueta)
Texas--Austin (McCombs)
Indiana (Kelley)
USC (Marshall)
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
Georgetown (McDonough)
Rice (Jones)
Vanderbilt (Owen)
Wash U. (Olin)
OSU (Fisher)
Notre Dame (Mendoza)
Washington (Foster)
TAMU (Mays)
Arizona State University: Carey
University of Iowa : Tippie
U of California, Irvine: Merage

Thanks for the help

by Zeenat Farha » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm
Hi Arpita,

You have decent acads, CGPA, GMAT scores and good ECs. Also, you are very much focused on post-MBA goals. With the given information, you may target the following schools in R-1 & R-2: Duke, Cornell, McCombs, CMU-Tepper, Kenan-Flagler, USC-Marshall, Emory, Indiana-Kelley, McDonough, Ohio-Fisher, Texas- A & M, Rotman, Queen's, Schulich, McGill, Oxford, Cambridge-Judge, IMD, St. Gallen, IESE, ESADE, SDA-Bocconi, IE-Spain, ISB, NUS, CEIBS and Nanyang.

You have lot to share about your work experience in application essays. Therefore, I would suggest you to skillfully write essays and talk about leadership style and achievements in or outside work place. As drafting essays will take good amount of time, therefore I would suggest you to apply with the present GMAT scores.

Let me know in case of any assistance required. You may PM your details for free profile evaluation and selection of b-school.

Regards
Zeenat

ArpitaGanguly100 wrote:Hi,

Please evaluate my profile. I am in a fix.

My Profile:

Female/30/Indian/IT

1) Brief description of work experience.

7 Yrs of work exp in Sept 2013 in top Indian IT company. The client for the project is one of top 5 financial instituions in the world.360 degree experience in IT starting as a Software Developer to QA Tester to Business Analyst .Currently as a Project Lead handling a team of 10 resources.
I have a 360 degree experience in IT starting as a Software Developer to QA Tester to Business Analyst .Currently as a Project Lead handling a team of 10 resources. I have worked in USA for 3.5 years. For these 7 years , I have worked in Banking and Finance domain with a specialization in US Mortgage.

Also running a small startup business ,which I partner with my father . It is a new guest house and a small food joint setup in an area booming with business . I started it in Jan,2013 and investment for the startup was all done by me alone.
Also have a short term experience of working in an outbound call center after final year in college and before joining full - time work in IT.

2) GMAT.
Appeared twice :
1. 600(Q48, V25)
2. 680(Q47, V35)

3) Qualification:
B.Tech in Computer Science , West Bengal University of Technology , CGPA - 7.93
12th - 70%
10th - 92%

4) Extra-curricular activities.
- Captain of school Basket ball team.
- Won competitions related to shot put, javelin throw and long jump.
- Commander of School marching team
- Won the district painting competition for consecutive three years.
- Active involvement in our school's NGO by teaching english and maths to poor children in the area and organizing events of food sharing and gift sharing with the poor children.
- In college participated in college Fest. Played a role of event anchor and worked with core team for sponsorships in college fest.
- In the past 7 years , represented company in basket ball meets , fashion shows . Anchored formal events and corporate picnics.
- Family actively involved in community service through NGO's and I have volunteered in several such events.
- Basic knowledge of French Language
- Enrolled for an Interior Designing course.

5) Important certifications
Company Certified in Basics of US Mortgage and Credit Reporting

6) Target programs.
Good schools in Asia Pacific , USA , Europe , Australia. Preferential Course will be International Business, Consulting, Marketing and might be Information/Operation management

7) When to apply?
R1 2013-2014

8) Post-MBA goal.
My post-MBA goal is to grow my startup to have a chain of food joints .I also want to make a global impact to society and aspire to open my own NGO featuring Breast Cancer awareness programs .
I believe everything I want to do in life will be made easy with an MBA which will help develop the skill-set I need to grow my business ideas into scalable organizations while also making strides in global social concerns .

9) Additional Info
Language fluency in 4 languages, advanced in 3 , and developmental in French. Hobby is painting . Take interest in Car Racing , horse riding.

My questions are
1) Which all colleges should I apply. Preferential regions will be a )USA b) Europe/Australia c) Asia Pacific d)Canada. Kindly let me know the colleges that I have a shot at
2) Should I a retake of GMAT

The list of preferential colleges are below

USA colleges

Duke (Fuqua)
Virginia (Darden)
Yale
Cornell (Johnson)
Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
UCLA (Anderson)
Michigan (Ross)
Emory (Goizueta)
Texas--Austin (McCombs)
Indiana (Kelley)
USC (Marshall)
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
Georgetown (McDonough)
Rice (Jones)
Vanderbilt (Owen)
Wash U. (Olin)
OSU (Fisher)
Notre Dame (Mendoza)
Washington (Foster)

European Colleges
INSEAD, France
IE ,Madrid
IESE, Barcelona
IMD, Switzerland
HEC, Paris
Said ,Oxford
Judge, Cambridge
Rotterdam , Netherlands
Manchester Business school, England
ESADE, Barcelona

Asia Pacific Colleges

HKUST, Hong Kong
ISB, Hyderabad
CEIBS, China
NUS, Singapore
NTU, Singapore
AGSM, Sydney
Melbourne Business School
AIM ,Manila
XLRI, Jamshedpur
SP Jain, Mumbai

Canada
University of Toronto : Rotman
University of Western Ontario: Ivey
York University: Schulich
Mc Gill University: Desautels
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia :Sauder

Any suggestion would be of great help.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Tue May 21, 2013 2:17 am
Well, since you went pretty much in ranking order, you make it easy for me :)

From Duke to about Tepper will be stretches for you. From Anderson to about Rice, I would consider you competitive, and below Rice are closer to safe schools.

Obviously this is a very rough evaluation, but hopefully this gives you an idea of where you stand.
ArpitaGanguly100 wrote:thanks for the reply. I thought of covering all the geography while posting but now I have narrowed it down to just the US colleges and modified it a bit. Can you please help in suggesting which one will be a stretch and which one will be safe.

Duke (Fuqua)
Virginia (Darden)
Yale
Cornell (Johnson)
Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)
UCLA (Anderson)
Michigan (Ross)
Emory (Goizueta)
Texas--Austin (McCombs)
Indiana (Kelley)
USC (Marshall)
UNC (Kenan-Flagler)
Georgetown (McDonough)
Rice (Jones)
Vanderbilt (Owen)
Wash U. (Olin)
OSU (Fisher)
Notre Dame (Mendoza)
Washington (Foster)
TAMU (Mays)
Arizona State University: Carey
University of Iowa : Tippie
U of California, Irvine: Merage

Thanks for the help
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by ArpitaGanguly100 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm
Thanks for all the help.