Test Taken But Confusion with result? Urgent Help please

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
Hi Everyone

I gave my first official test in march and I got 580 in that. Then I prepared and gave first manhattan test and got 580 again.I gave another manhattan 2 in which I score 640. Now after 5 weeks of dedicated preparation I gave another Manhattan last week and got 680. I was boosted so I gave Gmat prep 1st test and got 700. Today I gave Kaplan 1st CAT test in their system which automatically tells you the score at the end of the test and got 600.

Now I am confused what do I conclude from this. Where Do I stand. I have my Gmat on 22may and I need to score 700 somehow but this Kaplan score has just distorted all my confidence. Is it because I have been studying from all the manhattan material and their question types seems to be different.
I bought the full Manhattan material for Verbal and Quant. I also bought Manhattan tests 6 of them and took Ron purewal's thursdays with ron. but this test has just made me feel like I am not prepared.

Can someone tell me is it something wrong with me or Kaplan test?

Thanks
Rakesh

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu May 16, 2013 4:09 am
You got a 700 on the first GMAT Prep Test - so you are right in line. I find that in the absence of some reason to think otherwise (for example if you have already seen lots of questions on the GMAT Prep) that the score from the GMAT Prep is pretty accurate. Usually within 20 points either way. Now of course you could end up with a tough day on the test and your score could suffer. But I would think that you are on track.

The GMAT Prep test is the key and your score is right there were you need it. Now you will want to take the other GMAT Prep test between now and the 22nd.

You are within 7 days, so if you reschedule now you will lose the whole test fee. You might want to continue as planned, unless you get a low score on the 2nd GMAT Prep - I assume you plan to take that test within the next 3 days?

You are fine. You will do well.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by rakeshd347 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:You got a 700 on the first GMAT Prep Test - so you are right in line. I find that in the absence of some reason to think otherwise (for example if you have already seen lots of questions on the GMAT Prep) that the score from the GMAT Prep is pretty accurate. Usually within 20 points either way. Now of course you could end up with a tough day on the test and your score could suffer. But I would think that you are on track.

The GMAT Prep test is the key and your score is right there were you need it. Now you will want to take the other GMAT Prep test between now and the 22nd.

You are within 7 days, so if you reschedule now you will lose the whole test fee. You might want to continue as planned, unless you get a low score on the 2nd GMAT Prep - I assume you plan to take that test within the next 3 days?

You are fine. You will do well.
Thank you very much for your help David. Appreciate that. However I didn't understand that Manhattan and gmat prep score is within reasonable difference of 20 points (680 in manhattan and 700 gmatprep test) but how come Kaplan is only 600. Its shocking.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
Rakesh

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu May 16, 2013 4:35 am
Don't worry too much. These things happen, especially with unofficial tests. Do not let this shake your confidence. Manhttn Tests tend to score a little tougher so that would be in line with the 680. You still have the second GMATPrep to take and unless that is much lower than 700 you will probably want to take the test since it is paid for and you have had some solid results.

I had a student get a 700 on the GMATPrep and a 590 the next day on an unofficial practice test. Two days later she got a 690 on the Official Test. True story. You will be fine.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 am
I agree with David. I actually had the same thing happen to me when I was studying for the GRE (a similar standardized test). I took an unofficial test and I scored way below all of my other tests. I took the real test three days later and I got the exact same score as I did on the official GRE practice test (at the time the GRE and the GMAT where made by the same company). Anyway, you definitely want to take another GMAT Prep test so that way you can get your confidence back. Going into the test with confidence and in a good mood really makes a difference. Also, make sure that you take the WHOLE practice test. Don't skip the writing section because that makes the sample test too easy. Also, when you're done with this test, go back through all of your previous tests and make sure that you've learned from your wrong answers. A lot of people forget to review their previous tests for a second time.

Good luck!
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

by rakeshd347 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 pm
THanks