700 after 2 months of preparation

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

700 after 2 months of preparation

by visankar » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:14 pm
Just finished gmat with a 700! . Not a great score but I am planning to apply for part time/executive MBA part time at one of the top universities and this score should hopefully be enough. Regarding the test, these are my comments on preparation materials

- OG10 and OG11 : Both are a must
- Nova Math review : Good material for quant concepts but questions are too easy.
- PR : Stay away, unless you intend to score < 650
- Manhattan SC: must read
- Kaplan PP: Quant is good, verbal is not in line with actual exam type questions
- GmatPrep: Must do

The questions in the exam were more or less of the same difficulty level as GMATPrep and I had no clue on 4 or 5 quant questions . Couple of the RC subjects were the topics I hated; art history and renaissance culture etc. I am glad its over.

by visankar » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:05 pm
There are more than one "Novas" out there, I would like to make it clearer:

Nova's GMAT Prep Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:45 pm
Congratulations on your great GMAT performance, visankar! Can you provide some more details on how you formed your GMAT study strategy? I think that this community could definitely learn from your fine example.

Thanks and best of luck to you!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Study strategy

by visankar » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:39 am
Thank you!!. This was my strategy:

- Did most of the problems ( except the first 100 in PS, first 50 or so in DS ) in OG10 and OG11.
- Did all Sentence corrections on OG10 and OG11
- Read Manhattan SC 10 times ( at least )
- Nova , math concepts
- K800, all quant questions. I felt that these questions are less difficult than real GMAT, contrary to what many people say. The last 50 questions on OG are any day more difficult ( my opinion only )
- Did GMATPrep over and over again, may be 5 times.
- Did not spend much time on CR, may be 2 hours total, since I believe it is more "genetically acquired :)"

Iam in my 30s and have a family and 2 kids, and I spent 12 hours a week for 2 months preparing for gmat.

In case I need to go full time, can you share your experiences on whether the top 15 universities in US will turn down this not so high GMAT score ? I do have about 10 years work experience and a graduate degree. Has anybody gotten admissions in the top universities with 700?

Also an advice for the GMATTers- all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Work out at the gym or engage in physical activities and stay in shape for the exam!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Study strategy

by beatthegmat » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:30 pm
visankar wrote:Thank you!!. This was my strategy:

- Did most of the problems ( except the first 100 in PS, first 50 or so in DS ) in OG10 and OG11.
- Did all Sentence corrections on OG10 and OG11
- Read Manhattan SC 10 times ( at least )
- Nova , math concepts
- K800, all quant questions. I felt that these questions are less difficult than real GMAT, contrary to what many people say. The last 50 questions on OG are any day more difficult ( my opinion only )
- Did GMATPrep over and over again, may be 5 times.
- Did not spend much time on CR, may be 2 hours total, since I believe it is more "genetically acquired :)"

Iam in my 30s and have a family and 2 kids, and I spent 12 hours a week for 2 months preparing for gmat.

In case I need to go full time, can you share your experiences on whether the top 15 universities in US will turn down this not so high GMAT score ? I do have about 10 years work experience and a graduate degree. Has anybody gotten admissions in the top universities with 700?

Also an advice for the GMATTers- all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Work out at the gym or engage in physical activities and stay in shape for the exam!!
Thanks for sharing these additional details. A 700 is a VERY competitive GMAT score--I'd go after the top 15 b-schools with that score. Just one data point to consider--my sister got a 680 on the GMAT and went to Kellogg.

I love your last point about staying fit during your studies. It really does help with your endurance and concentration, and I'm glad you realized that.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:33 pm
It does (exercise) and that what I am doing now. Big mistake I did not do it during my preparation before. It helps relaxing, feel better, etc. You are my hero, I am also in my 30s, one kid and full time job. congratulations!
Isis Alaska

Indian IT applicant pool

by visankar » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:23 am
I put this in Stacys thread as well, but would like to hear comments from SiteAdmin andd others as well since she is out of office.

Here is my profile:

Indian Male of late 30s with more than ten years IT experience,currently working in a large US corporation ( Have recently published articles in a couple of academic journals- MS in CS from state University in US, GPA 3.84 )

GMAT: 700(92%), V -86% Q 87%

Do I stand a chance at the top 15 schools with my GMAT score, do Indian IT applicants generally need 750+ since it is a competitive pool? Do you think I should take gmat again?

I have put in community service efforts in the US and I have goals that I can state clearly ( would be enterpreneur ) , but does 700 put me at a disadvantage?

Thanks!!
deepas

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by RachelAL » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:11 am
I am no expert, but have been researching top school requirements. I think a 700 puts you in a COMPETATIVE position. You are around the average GMAT of the student profiles of the top schools. Most people looking to get into a top 10 school aim to break a 700.

I was aiming for a 700+. The first time I took my test I got a 650 :-( and Stacey replied to me and said I would even have a chance to get into a top school with a 680. I took it again and scored a 720. Anyway, my point is I think you have an excellent chance of getting into a school with the GMAT, provided everything else is ok.
-Rachel