Poll ended at Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:30 pm

No votes
No votes
100%
No votes

Total votes: 1

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Please give some tips for what all I could improve in the issue essay. Thanks a lot!

Issue:

The best way to give advice to other people is to find out what they want and then advise them how to attain it.”

My response:

The statement made by the author says that the best way of giving advice to other people is to first find out what they want and then advice them how to attain it. I second the author's opinion because I think a person can be helped only if his problem is first heard and then the circumstances leading to the problem and possible shortcomings on part of the person asking for advice are analyzed.

Whereas some might say that universal advices that are valid for everybody need no input from the listeners and work just as well, for e.g., advising people to be good citizens etc., they fail to realize that a majority of situations where people need advice depends upon many factors such as the personality of the individual and the circumstances surrounding him. Advices of universal natural are too trivial in such cases. In these cases, people need personalized advice dealing especially with their specific problems. A good doctor, for example, treats each case in a personalized manner and always has an ear to what his patient has to say.

Besides, listening to an individual often gives the person giving him or her advice a chance to analyze what the drawbacks on the part of the person asking for advice are i.e. whether the goal of the person is incorrect or the methodology used to achieve the goal is incorrect. For example, academic advisers try to analyze whether a student appearing for an exam has set his goal to an unattainable level or is he not working in the right way to attain his goal.

It can be argued that not everybody knows what he wants and therefore trying to find that out might be a fruitless endeavor but in such cases it is all the more important that such an individual gets the opportunity to find out his goals for himself and use the advice being provided to set the method he needs to use to attain these goals.

To sum it up, I agree with the author's opinion that the best way to advice someone is indeed listening to his or her problems and then offering advice because in this way the need of the seeker to be heard is fully satisfied. Moreover, both the seeker and the giver of the advice have a chance to review the situation in a better light.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:20 am
You're on the right track with this. You make some good points, but make sure you back them up with specific, real world examples. Avoid general or hypothetical examples. A good rule of thumb is that you should have one example per paragraph, and each should be a proper noun (e.g., a person, place, company, work of literature, etc.).

Also, avoid using "I" in your essays. It's not a big deal, but try to fix it!

I'll give you a 4 on this, though it would be higher with some examples.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AbhishekGakhar » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:18 pm
VP_Jim wrote:You're on the right track with this. You make some good points, but make sure you back them up with specific, real world examples. Avoid general or hypothetical examples. A good rule of thumb is that you should have one example per paragraph, and each should be a proper noun (e.g., a person, place, company, work of literature, etc.).

Also, avoid using "I" in your essays. It's not a big deal, but try to fix it!

I'll give you a 4 on this, though it would be higher with some examples.
Some good points there with the real world examples. But this topic was so abstract that it sounded stupid to say. Dr. X always had an ear to what the patients have to say. But, I will not forget it on my GMAT tomorrow and try to provide real world examples. I know its not the most professional way to personalize your essay but I thought the E-Rater is looking for the term 'I agree'. The 'I think' part in the first paragraph is unnecessary, though.

Thanks again!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Essay on the same topic

by mohitmahawar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:57 pm
Please rate my essay on the same.

"Organisations, individuals or governments - all need advise to carry out thier day to day responsibilities.
Individuals seek advise from friends, relatives and may sometimes need professional help. Governments
and organisations hire consulting companies.

Recently, in a news article I came across a new model of businesss. Two harvard graduates had founded a company whose aim
was to find experts. The company had built up a network of over 200,000 experts from around the globe. These experts were
scientists, doctors, engineers, patent attorneys etc. The company would charge it clients an annual subscription and refer them
to experts as per thier requirements. So, for example, if a company
intends to enter a new geographical area, it may hire experts who can advise them of various issues such as political
scenario, socio-economic factors, regulatory frameworks etc. of the region. Well, for anyone to provide accurate guidance
they need to understand the matter at hand. So, although a layman may be well aware of political situation in his country.
He may not have that expertise required to offer guidance to the level required professionally.

Many big corporations hire management consultants. Consultancies such as Mckinsey, Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Co.
are a few popular names. Management of big companies sometimes face challenging decisions. This may be unexpected fall in profits,
or desire to enter a new business area, or plans to acquire a competitor. Therefore, they hire these advisors, who can find
solutions for such companies which they actually need, not just what they want.

Finally, even individuals in thier day to day lives need advise. A person
in the normal course of thier lives may need advise on several issues such as money matters, health problems, marriage, GMAT etc. for which
they need help of relevant professionals but sometimes friends/ family who have been through the same issue may also help. For instance,
an MBA applicant, may need advise on how to achieve a good GMAT score, how
to make a good applications and what to expect in a interview. So, asking such questions to someone who has never been to university may not
be a good idea. It is important for a person to understand what the requirements are, in order to fulfil those needs.
"
Thanks.