GMAT 610 - Profile Evaluation and Retake consideration

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am confused after taking my 2nd GMAT test yesterday. I scored 66% - 610 (Q47 and V27). The score was appalling to me primarily because, that's the lowest
among the GMAT mocks in last one month. I scored between 630 (first MGMAT) and 670 in all MGMAT tests. My GMATPrep and Kaplan free tests scores were 680. I've never scored < 30
in Verbal in any of the mock tests. My preparation included OG11, OG13, and Manhattan 8 Strategy Guides. I made use of every resource available online too.
So, I did not miss on right materials. I spent 3+ months on extensive preparation.

I've decided on giving another shot in a month since I see I could improve my score at least to 660 range, leveraging the preparation I have already put in. Anxiety has been a problem
and I tend to get anxious on big events.

Earlier, I tried GMAT in October 2008 and scored a abysmal 590. Since then I worked on improving my career and other aspects of my MBA application. I have 11 years IT work experience
and have very good academic records. I am working in a American MNC and have received 2 promotions in the last 3 years.

I have coauthored technical e-books published by IBM and have been instrumental in designing B.E courses for Indian Universities. I have published few technical papers/tutorials
for IBM as well. I provide technical consulting in the database specific areas in India.

Am I right in my decision to re-take GMAT? or, is it that I am not

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Wed May 08, 2013 2:25 pm
Hi cbc1505 - yes definitely, retaking the GMAT will help you chances significantly. The quant score isn't bad but you're right to be concerned about the verbal side.

Many people have the same experience as you have reported: they test higher on the practice tests and then don't do as well when it comes time for the real thing. This is at least partly due to nerves. Now that you've gone through this experience a few times it may be easier for you to handle the stress of it. Time management is also key but it seems maybe you're OK with that part.

In terms of score to target, a 660 can definitely open more doors for you than your current score, but it's still not going to be exceptionally competitive at the very best schools. Another fact to be aware of is you have a lot more work experience than the average student at most full-time MBA programs - about double as much, in fact. Some of the better-ranked bschools may feel that you're a better candidate for an EMBA program.

The good news is that the EMBA admissions tends to be much less competitive, so a 660 actually could end up being just fine.

You'll need to evaluate all these factors together as you research the target programs and shortlist your schools.

Hope this helps and good luck on the studying!! Perhaps others can chime in with specific test prep advice for you too.

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by cbc1505 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 pm
Hi essaysnark,

Thanks for responding to my rumblings. Yes, I set a modest 670-790 target initially considering my age (which works against me) and the experience (which I hope will favor me).

I am focusing on applying to colleges that have shorter course periods, possibly with internships. Yes, I am counting on few EMBA programs as well.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 am
LOL to your "modest target" comment. :-D

Sounds like you're going about this the right way; having a mix of targets is always wise. If we can help just let us know!

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sat May 11, 2013 12:12 pm
cbc1505 wrote:Hi essaysnark,

Thanks for responding to my rumblings. Yes, I set a modest 670-790 target initially considering my age (which works against me) and the experience (which I hope will favor me).

I am focusing on applying to colleges that have shorter course periods, possibly with internships. Yes, I am counting on few EMBA programs as well.
790 is a "modest target" for a member of the Manhattan Project, not for the rest of us! To be honest, most people who get that score are professional test prep instructors for whom the GMAT's proclivities and quirks have become second nature (you can't get a 790 without a V50 or V51, and to get a V50 or V51 you have to know what the GMAT "prefers" - not just proper grammar and good logic).

I second everything essaysnark says, with one caveat: there is a significant difference between a 610 and a 670, much more than there is between a 500 and a 560 or something, and that could easily be the deciding factor at a competitive school, especially given how imbalanced (toward quant) your score is. The verbal section tends to take longer to master, but it's worth it if you're really serious about an MBA: I'd imagine that four to six months of good verbal training would make an enormous impact.