Monkeys in the park

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Monkeys in the park

by metallicafan » Wed May 08, 2013 5:50 pm
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline.

(A) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang
(B) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs were hanging
(C) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(D) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(E) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs have hung

OA is D.

I have two doubts in this question:
1) According to the OE, "whose" modifies "branches". However, in other official questions I have seen that sometimes the clause modifier doesn't modify the closest noun. Actually, it can modify the main noun in a noun phrase as long as it makes sense and it is not ambiguous.
In this case, we have "monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose..."; "monkeys" is the main noun of that noun phrase and makes sense with "arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline".
So, my question is: Is the split "whose....", a good reason to eliminate some choices?

2) What are the rules related to a prepositional phrase after a comma? In this question: "..., with arms and legs hanging". How could we know that the prepositional phrase refers to the monkeys and not the visitors. Because these modifiers modify the entire clause, usually modifies the subject (visitors).

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 am
A big thing you are missing here is that whose can only modify people, and the monkeys are the noun that is described in the modifier. This takes care of question 1.

2) Generally you use a comma before a long prepositional phrase, more than 4 or 5 words, and in this case it refers to the noun before it. The comma is in case is separating two prepositional phrases 'on the branches' and 'with ...' so that you do not think the branches had arms and legs...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by iongmat » Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 am
Jim@StratusPrep wrote:A big thing you are missing here is that whose can only modify people
Hello Jim, not sure if this is a typo, but I believe that "whose" can modify "non-living" things as well (let alone animals/plants).

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 09, 2013 7:40 am
The usage of whose is not restricted to people.
SC48 in the OG13: The new missile is a weapon whose importance is largely symbolic.
Here, whose refers to weapon.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3