Scored 700, should I retake?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scored 700, should I retake?

by sknarla » Thu May 02, 2013 10:34 am
I just finished the GMAT after preparing for a few months and scored a 700 with quant score of 46 (71%) and verbal of 40 (90%).

I am currently looking at schools such as Northwestern, Duke, Michigan, Georgetown, Carnegie Mellon. I have been working for about 3 years at a large financial services company and graduated from a top 10 engineering school with a 3.1 GPA.

I think Northwestern is probably a reach and I am wondering if a higher GMAT score may help? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: On practice tests I was scoring between 700 and 720 so this result was not unexpected. I am hoping with a few months I can raise it higher, but is it worth it?

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 am
Hi sknarla - first off - congrats on the 700! That is indeed a good score, even if it's lower than the average at many of the programs you're interested in.

The short answer to your question is yes, a higher GMAT score (particularly a higher quant) will help at all these programs, but it may not be necessary. We've had plenty of clients make it in to every school on your list with scores similar to yours. It all depends on the entirety of the profile and on how you put your pitch together.

That being said: The quant score is lower than we like to see for schools like Kellogg especially. It's not impossible, but you're adding an obstacle that you could potentially skirt with a higher score (particularly with the lower GPA). Also, candidates from a finance and/or engineering background tend to have higher quant scores, so you're at a bit of a disadvantaged when compared to some of your peers.

Since we're still in May, then we sorta would encourage you to try the GMAT again. If you loathe the test (and we don't blame you if you do!) then you could apply with this score and see how it goes, as long as you're comfortable with the possibility that this process may take two years.

We talk about this issue on the EssaySnark blahg - here's one post of many: https://essaysnark.com/2011/09/what-is-a ... al-answer/

Let us know if you have other questions - it's an important part of the strategy and it's good that you're thinking about all of this as you are.

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon May 13, 2013 9:00 am
I agree that a higher quant score is likely necessary. With a quant background and a low GPA, you need to show that you have a higher ability in quant for the top schools...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by basso25@ » Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 pm
jim: how would your feedback change for someone WITHOUT a quant background (such as myself)? what would you say is the min quant score i need? kellogg is my top school as well.

sknarla: congrats on your score; currently i can only dream about being where you are currently. good luck which ever way you end up going...

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 am
So this is a little off topic, but possibly useful. Have you considered non-US schools? Do you think any of them could fit your objectives? I've had quite a few Americans who had positive results with a similar score at non-US schools because you're more unique abroad. London Business School may still be a reach but perhaps more likely than some top US schools.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT