Brazilian citizens

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

Brazilian citizens

by Ankur87 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm
Most Brazilian citizens are fluent speakers of Portuguese. Some Brazilian citizens speak Japanese. Therefore, some Brazilian citizens are bilingual (i.e., can speak two

languages).
Which of the following describes the conclusion above?

A) The conclusion given above follows conclusively from the stated premises.

B) The conclusion follows from the premises, but it cannot represent the actual situation in Brazil, since the premises cannot both be true.

C) Since the premises of this argument are true, and the conclusion does not follow from them, we can infer that all Brazilian citizens are monolingual (i.e., speak only

one language).

D) Since the conclusion of this argument is true, and it follows from the premises, we can infer that the premises are also true.

E) The conclusion of this argument does not follow from the premises, but we cannot thereby infer anything about the truth of either the premises or the conclusion.

Please explain..
[spoiler] IMO : D
OA : E[/spoiler]
:(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Nachiket » Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 pm
Ankur87 wrote:Most Brazilian citizens are fluent speakers of Portuguese. Some Brazilian citizens speak Japanese. Therefore, some Brazilian citizens are bilingual (i.e., can speak two

languages).
Which of the following describes the conclusion above?

A) The conclusion given above follows conclusively from the stated premises.

B) The conclusion follows from the premises, but it cannot represent the actual situation in Brazil, since the premises cannot both be true.

C) Since the premises of this argument are true, and the conclusion does not follow from them, we can infer that all Brazilian citizens are monolingual (i.e., speak only

one language).

D) Since the conclusion of this argument is true, and it follows from the premises, we can infer that the premises are also true.

E) The conclusion of this argument does not follow from the premises, but we cannot thereby infer anything about the truth of either the premises or the conclusion.

Please explain..
[spoiler] IMO : D
OA : E[/spoiler]
:(

Suppose the population of Brazil is 100, now there can be a situation :-
a) Most Brazilian citizens are fluent speakers of Portuguese :- 80 people speak exclusively
Portuguese.
b) Some Brazilian citizens speak Japanese :- 20 people speak exclusively Japanese.

The above scenario invalidates the stated conclusion.

Therefore choice E is correct since all other choices states that the conclusion is true.
Stay Hungry , Stay Foolish !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by Ankur87 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 am
Ya man.. u r right..
I donno what the heck I was thinking when I was solving this problem.