Converting UK scores to SAT/GPA scores

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:650

Converting UK scores to SAT/GPA scores

by jsl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:24 am
Hiya,

I have, what should be a relatively quick question.... As a British Citizen, obtained A-levels at secondary school (equiv last 2 years of high school, age 16-18) and I obtained a 2:1 (age 18-21) at university.

Which should I convert to a GPA and how can I convert it?

A-level grades (age 16-18): BCCC
University grade (age 18-21): 2:1 (Upper second class)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Re: Converting UK scores to SAT/GPA scores

by lion147 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:13 am
jsl wrote:Hiya,

I have, what should be a relatively quick question.... As a British Citizen, obtained A-levels at secondary school (equiv last 2 years of high school, age 16-18) and I obtained a 2:1 (age 18-21) at university.

Which should I convert to a GPA and how can I convert it?

A-level grades (age 16-18): BCCC
University grade (age 18-21): 2:1 (Upper second class)
I'm in the same position; I don't think the A-levels matter, I'm using wes.org and they only want my Uni transcript.

P.S. A-levels are more like the first year of a university in the US where a 4 year degree is normal.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by jsl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:52 am
lion147 wrote:I'm in the same position; I don't think the A-levels matter, I'm using wes.org and they only want my Uni transcript.

P.S. A-levels are more like the first year of a university in the US where a 4 year degree is normal.
Hiya fellow UK graduate! So basically a GPA equates to Uni scores. Do wes.org translate your individual Uni transcript scores to a GPA equivalent score? It's interesting that it doesn't take your A-levels (but great for me as I did badly at A-level). Do you have to speak to the Uni directly to get a full breakdown of your courses and scores for each course?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by lion147 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 am
jsl wrote:
lion147 wrote:I'm in the same position; I don't think the A-levels matter, I'm using wes.org and they only want my Uni transcript.

Hiya fellow UK graduate! So basically a GPA equates to Uni scores. Do wes.org translate your individual Uni transcript scores to a GPA equivalent score? It's interesting that it doesn't take your A-levels (but great for me as I did badly at A-level). Do you have to speak to the Uni directly to get a full breakdown of your courses and scores for each course?
I'm almost a Yank though after being here for 4 years!

I don't know WES' process 100% yet, I'm currently having my transcript sent to them; from what I can gather WES only translates the degree, so they don't care about anything that didn't directly contribute to it (i.e. your A-levels).

As the GPA is based on classes, I think WES will also look at the different courses, so they will want to see a breakdown of some sort.

A word of warning though, the top schools don't seem to care whether you have your degree translated. Last year, before I started the GMAT, I emailed a top 5 school to check (I don't really want to spend more than I have to!), they responded by saying that foreign students just needed to send in their transcripts.