Don't see improvement in score. Please advise.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi All,

I had joined this forum around 2 months back when I started preparing for GMAT.
Posts by various experts are helpful and GMAT debriefs by successful members are really inspiring.

I am a working IT professional and don't get more than 2 hours during weekdays. In weekends, I can spend around 5-6 hours/day for Prep. I had started my prep around 2 months back. In 1st month, I refreshed all my Quant concepts, and got familiarized with Verbal question types. Did good amount of practice on both. (Not from OG though)

I gave my first practice CAT from GMAT Prep on 31-March, hoping I don't do too bad. I got score of 630 (Q44, V32).
I was running short of time in Quant and had to just guess in last 4-5 questions to ensure I don't leave questions unanswered.
Upon review I ralized that my concepts in Quant are clear, but I am not able to recollect certain formula for Geomety. Also, for many difficult questions, I didn't have a clue how to apply certain strategy to solve it fast and in turn spent lot of time.
For Verbal, I managed the time well (had to guess only on last question). Most of my mistakes were in SC. For some of trickier CR questions, I had eliminated 3 wrong choices, but out of remaining 2, the 1 I selected was incorrect, so I thought more practice is needed in CR. RC was ok for me as the passages were not that difficult and I got most of the answers correct, except couple of inference questions.

I worked on my Math, memorizing formulae, learned tricks to solve certain type of questions and practiced from OG this time.
For Verbal as well, I solved most of the OG questions, focusing more on SC.
After a months time, I yesterday gave Manhattan CAT 1. I was hoping that this time I would get closer to 700 mark, so that I can register for GMAT test for end of May.
But I was shocked to see 550 (Q35, V31).
Again in Quant, my pacing was very bad. I could solved only 31 questions in 74 mins. I had to guess for next 3 questions, and last 3, I could not even attempt.
Reviewing revealed that in Quant, for most of the questions, I knew the concepts well, approach was also correct, but made some silly mistakes in calculations. And sometimes negligence or hastiness. e.g. If original value is X, and new value is 8X, I selected % increast as 800, instead of 700.

For Verbal, my performance was evenly bad in all SC and RC. CR was not that good, but comparatively better than other 2 types. In RC, I got 1 really heavy science passage, which I am not comforatble with, and on top of it, Question levels were difficult (700-800 level). In SC, I did well on my tough questions, but got some medium level Questions wrong.
Pacing was still not improved in Verbal. Had to guess on last 2 question to complete all 41.

Earlier I was planning to appear for GMAT around May end, but I guess I'll need to push it to June 2nd week now.
Please help me out guys.
How do I improve on my Quant and Verbal?
Is there any specific way I need to prepare? Any specific material I need to use?

Thanks in Advance.
Amit.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 am
Don't let one practice test erode your confidence.

Also, at the moment, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges (the results of an official GMATPrep test and the results of a third-party test).

I suggest that you take another GMATPrep test.

As far as the rest of your post goes, it looks like you're doing a great job identifying your weaknesses (Geometry, SC, time-management, etc) - great. All you need to do is focus on strengthening those weaknesses.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by patelamit.pune » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 am
Thanks Brent.
I understand that both these tests might be using different scoring algorithm so the scores are bound to be different. But we cannot ignore the fact that I need to really work hard on my weaknesses.
For Quant, I still feel confident that with staying more vigilant during test and checking question stem again before clicking the answer, I can improve a lot.
However, I am worried about Verbal. Specially SC and RC. What would you suggest to improve accuracy in these 2 areas. Any specific material I need to use or any online course I should join?

Thanks,
Amit.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:49 am
patelamit.pune wrote: However, I am worried about Verbal. Specially SC and RC. What would you suggest to improve accuracy in these 2 areas. Any specific material I need to use or any online course I should join?

Thanks,
Amit.
I think all of the test-prep companies on this site offer solid resources for SC and RC.

Regarding RC, we happen to have a comprehensive series of free videos: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by patelamit.pune » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:40 am
Hi Brent.
I'll definitely look at the videos to improve on RC.
Also, I have got hold of some of the SC notes by high scorers from this site. Hopefully that should help with SC.
Thank you again for your help.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks,
Amit.