horrible score

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

horrible score

by dentist82 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:39 am
guys i am bit depressed...i gave my gmat on 20th april..i scored 510...i just cant digest it...well my preparation was not upto mark...i gave only 2 mock which i got online while registration of exam...and just prepared for like 6 weeks approx...guys i really need your inputs to get beyond 650...which is and which was my target...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:790

by Ben.Miller@ApexGMAT » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 am
First, let's put things in perspective. 510 is right in the middle of the curve, which is not a bad place to start from. While everyone wants that perfect score, remember that the GMAT is just one part of a broader application profile. Sure, it matters, but probably not as much as you've built it up in your head. Moral: Depression isn't warranted, and will work against you in the long run.

Now, onto the GMAT. You didn't describe your prep, so I am going to assume it was self study. Self-prep is important in any prep process, but it has diminishing returns, because it can be difficult to "get out of your own head". In the same way a batter can't see the problem with their swing, most GMAT-ers require at least some coaching in the form of a class, tutoring, or even a friend with a strong score.

The good news is that going from 510 to 650 is entirely feasible. You most likely have many of the fundamentals covered, which provides a good basis for guided study. Additionally, good prep takes time; six week is not enough to allow the full extent of what you should be learning to absorb into your working memory/problem solving vocabulary and express itself on the exam. Many people rush, but that just makes the time they spend less efficient. 2-4 months is a reasonable prep time, depending on the goals. 510-640 represents a sizeable jump in percentile, so I would advocate toward giving yourself more time rather than less.

The good news is that you should have plenty of time until first round admissions. So sit back, chart out a plan, and be confident that you can get there as long as you provide yourself a good teacher, allow yourself adequate prep time, and develop a strong, flexible plan to get yourself there.

Ben
Ben Miller
Senior Instructor
Chief Curriculum Developer
ApexGMAT
[email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:42 am
Your study plan should be partially guided by whatever caused your 510 score. Was it a lack of content knowledge (e.g., circle properties or past perfect tense) or a lack of test-taking skills (e.g., time management or anxiety reduction)?

For content knowledge deficiencies, it's important that you identify and strengthen your weak areas. One way to do this is to use an Error Log (aka Improvement Chart) while completing questions from the Official Guide (OG). You can find a free downloadable Improvement Chart here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log

If time management and test anxiety were largely to blame for the score, you might want to start by watching a couple of free videos on those topics.
- Time management: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244
- Test anxiety: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1252

I imagine that, to improve your score, you'll need to work on a combination of building your content knowledge and test-taking skills.

Finally, if you're looking for a comprehensive road map for your prep, you might consider signing up for BTG's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com